SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newplanter211

Reviving St. Augustine with newly planted Maple tree

newplanter211
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

We recently moved into a new house in June. Summer in Texas was brutal this year, and we messed up and didn't give our lawn enough water (we are new at this and didn't know how much was enough/too much). We watered once a week for about an hour in all areas. We have St. Augustine grass (not sure of the variety).

Anyway, some areas of the lawn turned brown, dry, and brittle, like hay. We also ended up with crabgrass in some of those areas (not everywhere, but enough to be annoying). In October, we planted a red maple tree in the yard, and we have been manually pulling the crabgrass seedheads to try and get them out of the yard. We have not added any fertilizer or chemicals to the yard. A local nursery advised us to continue doing this and let the winter weather kill off the weeds, then try and revive the lawn in spring.

So, my question is, do any of you have any advice on how to help revive or plug the St. Augustine, control the weeds, and do this in a way that is safe for the newly planted maple? I'm very leery of putting down pre-emergent for the weeds, but I know that would help prevent them from germinating in the spring. I just don't want to end up killing my tree and the grass. The dead grass areas are small enough that some plugs (and hopefully runners from the healthy St. Augustine remaining) will work to fill them in. For now, we are leaving the fallen leaves in the yard in an attempt to return nutrients to the soil, which is healthy (has been tested).

I'm sorry this is so long, but I want to be prepared in the spring, and I've seen that providing ample information helps in getting good, solid advice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (8)