SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsmokebreak

Climbing St Joseph's Coat help

jsmokebreak
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We've got a SJC climber in the backyard, in full sun, Central Texas. It was a bare-root when I got it from Jackson Perkins. I put it in the ground a year ago and it went crazy. I tried to keep it to a trellis but didn't really know what I was doing.

Still don't!

I had read not to cut it back for a couple years, but I did this past winter. I just watched a video on how to prune these, and to get the plant down to the main canes that can be trained horizontally, then the flowering chutes come of of those, vertically. This is not what I have!

Honestly, my biggest confusion is which canes are the main canes, and which ones I should trim.

Right now all of the canes coming off the bulb are kinda short, then branches come out of those. Not sure if that's considered a main cane. Of all the longer canes this plant has ever had, it basically had no offshootes till about 3-4 feet up, so lots of bare cane.

Basically, I need some help with what canes I need to trim now. Some canes are growing away from the house, so I'm assuming those need to go?

I'm also worried that I may have cut some main canes too short this winter, so I only have branches from the main canes to work with.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, my trellis system is in disarray, as I dismantled it over the winter, so advice on a new/better/affordable option one is appreciated too!

Comments (8)