SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianne_shoenfelt

Old house/new kitchen, keeping it "historic"...

Dianne Shoenfelt
5 years ago

Attached is the cabinet salesman's 3D version of my future NEW kitchen in my 1881 farmhouse. We finally have a layout that works, no advice needed in that department. It's been a tricky layout due to four doors, two low windows and a HUGE brick fireplace that sticks out five feet into the room (not shown in the image as these two walls are the only areas conducive to receiving cabinets.)

I'm leaning toward all white bead board to showcase my dark wood or painted antiques. I have an island that I plan to reuse that is an antique general store counter. I also have a Hoosier cabinet, and one wall hanging cabinet that I would love to incorporate but can't find room for it.

Any design tips to help me incorporate the old with the new would be greatly appreciated. I don't want things to look too "built in" or matchy-matchy, but I'm scared to get too "creative" or it will look bad!

Color suggestions for walls and woodwork too. I have chair rail, deep window sills, and lintels over my windows, so I've got a lot of woodwork. Should I do it all in white? Mix and match? Thanks in Advance!

Comments (32)