SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travallie

To keep or change old cabinets in new house

Allison
5 years ago
Hubby and I are in the process of closing on a new house, and I'm having a dilemma about the new kitchen.
House was built in 1974 and not much has changed. I'm told the cabinets are very high quality and nicer than the ones we had put in our current dream kitchen (see white kitchen photo). So that makes me want to keep or repurpose them.
However we are changing the layout from U kitchen to a long L to expand into the eat in kitchen side. So if we keep the cabinets, I'm not sure how practical that is. We would likely need to buy new/more cabinets, and I'm not sure we'd be able to find a good match to blend in.
My contractor said he could paint the cabinets white, which I think I would prefer. We would still have to find white ones to match though to expand the kitchen.
I'm debating if I could just change counter top and fixtures and live with the darker color.
Basically - do I stick with the dark cabinets and attempt to match them when I add extra cabinets? Do I paint them and try to match style for extra cabinets? Do I scrap them all together and put in a whole new kitchen?
Trying to balance budget with our forever home!

Comments (9)