Processed Food?

mrsjack_gw

Even though liver pate contains a lot of butter, there is not a considerable amount of salt and preservatives in the recipe. Would this homemade dish be considered highly processed? (Highly fattening, I know!) Is it considered in the same league as bacon, hot dogs or sausage?

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Not processed, although high fat, high calories and high in cholesterol, LOL.

It is most certainly not health food, but it's not processed in the manner that bacon or hot dogs are, being cured with chemicals and then "smoked", again with chemicals.

Your homemade pate should not be full of nitrates or nitrites, preservatives or chemicals, just lots and lots of fat.

Annie

Save    
plllog

I think "homemade" is the important word. Who knows what's in commercially packed patés and what they do to the meat to make it work for them?

I often hear about the evils of processed potato chips. I've never had a homemade one which was properly crunchy. The ones I buy, however, are very reminiscent of the potato chips of my childhood. And the ingredients are potatoes, safflower oil and salt. Exactly like mom's but crunchy The bag is fancy, looks like mylar (think LEM) and are injected with some kind of gas for cushioning. It might be nitrogen, which would help keep them fresh (no oxygen) but it's just deconstructed air and doesn't stick, nor is there an issue with ingesting nitrogen. Why do people buy processed potato chips when they can have beautiful real potato chips? I know not. But most foods come in processed and real versions. :)

Save    
Islay Corbel

If you Google healthier chicken liver pate recipes you'll find many with reasonable amounts of butter. It freezes well, so you can make some, eat a little, and keep some for later. Its not at all the same process as industrial food which is to be avoided at all costs!

Here's one

https://wellnessmama.com/15535/perfect-pate-recipe/

I use the chefsteps one

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-liver-pate

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Oh, the ChefStep recipe looks great and good directions.

No, not at all processed. My recipe does not use any butter. Many do not. Similar to the Wellnessmama linked above.

Not a pig-out food but really good for you in small portions.

Same with homemade hotdogs and sausage. Not processed.

hot dog recipe, HERE

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Technically, any time you prepare a raw food item for consumption you are "processing" it. But by USDA definition, processed foods are a manufactured food item that has had a series of mechanical or chemical operations performed on it to change, stabilize or preserve it.

I would not consider a home made pate of any kind to be processed in that sense of the word.

2 Likes Save    
mrsjack_gw

Checked out the recipes--yum! Saved them. Am going to try Ina's truffle butter chicken liver mousse for Easter.

Save    
seagrass_gw

My friend makes her chopped liver with hardboiled eggs, no schmaltz - it's delicious!

Save    
artemis_ma

Islay, I like the Chefsteps recipe you posted too. I made chicken liver pate years ago and I know I used mustard in the recipe, but cannot recall anything else about how I made it. But... I want to try pate again. (I have enough liver in my freezer...)

Save    
Compumom11

Since DH loves chopped liver I've found a way to make it so that it lasts and has a different flavor. Instead of schmaltz or heaven forbid, coconut oil, I use a some reserved bacon fat (no nitrite variety) and some grass fed butter. I saute the chopped onions in the fat and then use organic chicken livers. DH likes it moist so I add a little mayo to the end product. I also rice a hard boiled egg and mix that in the final product. To make sure that he doesn't eat too much, I freeze half of the chopped liver before I've added the mayo. So far, so good.

Mom used to soak her livers in milk before sauteing, but DH doesn't find the taste too strong unless it's a bad batch of livers, so I skip that step.

Save    
mrsjack_gw

My mom always added mayo to her pate. I've always done it, too. Now I'm just looking for something a little different.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I love chicken livers and they are a staple item in my diet - I use them often in omlettes, stir fries and in chicken liver stroganoff. I often make pate at the holidays as a gift item. They do NOT need to be soaked in milk. Chicken livers are quite delicate and have a delicate flavor as well. The milk soak is typically used for beef liver as a tenderizer and an aroma neutralizer but it pulls iron out of the liver and so a water soak is recommended instead. Chicken livers themselves are very nutritious - a high, low calorie protein source, lots of vitamin A and B12 and a source of iron and folates. It is what you add to them that ups the calories and the fats.

The recipe I use IS butter heavy but since the pate is an occasional treat and not a diet staple, I tend to overlook the calories and fat content :-) My recipe calls for the livers and diced onions to be cooked lighty in a water bath until done. Then transfer the drained livers and onions to a food processor, add room temp butter and whatever other seasonings you prefer. And a good wallop of sherry, brandy or Scotch whiskey! Process until smooth and creamy. Freezes well.

Note: what I make is pate, not chopped liver, so no eggs :-) You want a very silky, smooth consistency.

1 Like Save    
writersblock

heaven forbid, coconut oil

Not all coconut oil is coconut-y. Virgin coconut oil has that taste, but processed (since we're talking about processed foods) is completely neutral. The coconut oil from LouAna, for instance is totally tasteless, but not something I personally would add to a paté.

Interesting about soaking the livers. I've always done that for beef liver because I was taught that the purpose is to soak out any toxins that might be left in there, but never bothered for chicken liver. Does it really change the flavor that much? I must say I don't see much difference between a water soak and a milk soak for beef.

Save    
lindac92

coconut oil may not be "coconutty" but it for sure is not "buttery"....and that's my only objection.
I slice a couple of onions very thinly and slowly caramelize them in a couple T. of butter....slowly until very caramel colored and soft. Then remove them to a bowl, add more butter to the pan and sautee the chicken livers....about a pound...add a big clove of crushed garlic towards the end ...
Then I put the onions and the livers which are just done and perhaps still a little pink inside, into the cuisinart and process until smooth....adding salt as needed and a glub or 2 of dry sherry....
Chill until firm and enjoy!

1 Like Save    
plllog

Lindac, that sounds delicious. I'm not a big fan of liver.

Save    
writersblock

coconut oil may not be "coconutty" but it for sure is not "buttery"....and that's my only objection.

Well, no, that's certainly true!

Save    
Compumom11

My mother always added some sherry to her pate, too!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing 9 Kitchen Organizing Tips to Help You Waste Less Food
Follow these simple steps to maximize your budget and turn your good intentions into good habits
Full Story
Kitchen Design How to Waste Less Food
Here are 9 relatively painless ways to throw away less food and stretch your grocery dollars
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Welcome Edibles Into the Front Yard for Fresh Food and More
Give your front yard design a boost and maybe even make new friends by growing fruits and vegetables
Full Story