SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Ultra-processed foods vs. real food

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

https://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/how-to-diet/do-ultra-processed-foods-make-you-gain-weight/

I came across this study and thought the results were worth sharing. Researchers found people consumed 500 calories a day more on ultra-processed foods (hot dogs, tater tots, french fries, chips, cookies, etc.) vs. unprocessed foods (fresh fruits and vegetables, unsweetened yogurt, beans, nuts, etc.) when allowed to eat as much as they wanted. That 500 calories extra a day can translate into 50 lbs over the course of a year.

I mean I know that 'junk' food is bad for you, but I still found this finding pretty amazing. I also found this interesting:

The outcome didn’t depend on the amount of sugar, fat, carbs, protein, sodium, or fiber in the ultra-processed meals because the unprocessed meals had similar levels of each.

“I didn’t expect to see such a huge effect,” says Hall, “because we matched the meals for for [sic] carbs, fat, protein, sugar, sodium, and fiber—the usual suspects that people have talked about for many years as driving the obesity epidemic.”

Comments (12)