SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_294913661

Help! First-Level Floorplan Layout Ideas

Brad Edward
5 years ago

Hi All,

I got such an overwhelming amount of advice, suggestions, on the thread about my bathroom ( [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-bathroom-floorplan-layout-ideas-dsvw-vd~5642638[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-bathroom-floorplan-layout-ideas-dsvw-vd~5642638)), I wanted to share the larger first-level floorplan as well and solicit some ideas.

Primary questions:

* Any ideas for how can we make the kitchen larger? For how much space is on this main level, the kitchen doesn't feel very big. The segment of wall with the range is load bearing, and has a footer under it, but we would be willing to consider a beam if significant improvements could be made.

* What pitch of roof do you recommend for the cathedral ceilings? We were thinking stick-built with a 6/12 slope. Would going to a 9/12-12/12 pitch look considerably better?

Our 'musts' are:

* Open floorplan between kitchen and family room area

* A screened-in porch

The proposed family room addition, as it stands, is 16' wide, the proposed enclosed patio is 10' 7". The width of these two spaces is easily adjusted, but the exterior walls may not change, as we are already too close to our property lines.

If there are any other dimensions needed that aren't reflected here, let me know, happy to provide.

This is an amazingly helpful community, thank you in advance for anyone who puts time into a response!

Attached are the following:

1. As-is floorplan

2. Proposed floorplan

3. Proposed floorplan with furniture (not to scale, done in magicplan by me)

4. Survey plat

5. Inspiration for the family room, we like the cathedral ceilings

6. Inspiration from another home with a similar floorplan, we are modeling our kitchen after this.

7. A sketch of what the addition / porch will look like from the outside. Gable roof over the family room, shed roof over the porch. (sorry for the poor artistry, no should be a fireplace where the center windows are)

Comments (5)