SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacsnviolets

Help on a 4bed 3 bath single level floorplan

lilacsnviolets
11 years ago

I'm amazed at all the valuable advice given freely here on this site from so many of you. Some people post their hazy, unworkable ideas, and go away after the discussion with charming floorplans. I hope mine doesn't need that much work. (?)

The first home we built was our builder's stock plan, with tweaks. Why do most stock plans seem like they were designed by bachelors who don't cook or do laundry? I want this next home to be our last.

We've lived a lot of places, mostly rentals, and looked at bajillions of floor plans. The only floor plan I've ever fallen in love with is a 4000 sf two-story French Country style home with 5 beds and 5 baths. I'd love to build it, but I need a single floor, under 2800 sf home. So this is a mash up of elements we liked from that plan and several others. I don't have a design program, so I'm drawing in Excel. I realize that my walls have no thickness. I think my rooms are sufficiently large to allow for actual walls.

There are some things we don't want.

No wasted space.

No stairs.

No laundry room doubling as hallway to garage.

No formal dining room. We wouldn't use it. No bar eating either. Just our table.

No Jack and Jill baths.

No fireplace.

No front porch.

No vaulted ceilings, just 9 foot flat.

There are some things we do want.

Compact footprint - to not take up too much of our lot.

Master bedroom near the laundry room.

Large kitchen (190 sf minimum). I need to love my kitchen.

15 linear feet of desk space on a great room wall.

Very large pantry close to garage and kitchen.

Lots of storage.

Separate, more formal music room.

Covered porch in back.

So, any feedback would be helpful. Will our exterior be workable, or are we stuck with a massive roof, dwarfing everything else? Oh, and it faces south, and it's as wide as I think it can be and not be too close to the neighbors, but it could go deeper.

Comments (5)