SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

HELP! How to get creases out of my IKEA RITVA Faux Linen curtains

nhb22
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have read all the reviews about these curtains about mismatched lengths, washing, drying, shrinkage, etc. I purchased 6 panels for my bedroom. First, I measured all and they are slightly more or less 98" long as the package said. Great start!

The 100% cotton curtain panels come with folding creases from packaging. I decided not to wash them because the length is going to be perfect on my existing hung rod (that's with a little adjustment on the hanging method.) So to get the creases out, I threw one panel into the dryer with a wet cloth and set for 10 minutes on delicate heat. No progress. I changed the heat to Normal for another 10 minutes. I noticed that the panel was developing wrinkles so I took the panel out and let it cool before draping on my dining table to measure again. The panel is now 95" and very wrinkled...still with the creases!

If I iron or use a hand held steamer (I'd like to try this method first), are my curtain panels still going to shrink and wrinkle like they did in the dryer? And can I get the length back on that one panel?

Comments (15)