SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlee_christensenschwiermann

Using wall color to tone down yellow, solid oak floors.

Kimberlee S
5 years ago
I’m buying a house with my dream kitchen, as far as layout and appliances go. But the color choices aren’t my taste. I prefer cool tones and monochromatic color schemes. The kitchen has alder cabinets (somewhat neutral in cool vs warm...but leaning warm) and yellowish solid oak floors. Black granite countertops. Stainless steel appliances (which I like). Oh and the walls are currently a warm white/pale yellow.

I’m not up to refinishing the floors right now. I’m pacing my demands to be kind to my husband. I feel painting the walls is my best option in making it work, in both financial and energy expenditures. I’m open to painting the cabinets, my husband is not so much-but he won’t stand in my way if I’m passionate. My husband thinks if we change the lighting it will cool the tones-and I’m sure he’s right to a significant degree.

To give you my starting point: My current kitchen has white cabinets, and beige granite and walls. Very neutral and boring—and what my brain needs. There’s too much noise “in my head” and so I need calm in my environment.

What do you think? Is there a way to use color, like makeup artists with red/yellow/blue skin tone-correcting bases, to tone down all the warm wood?

I created a visual to try to show you what I’m working with:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus