SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
electratoo_gw

Toning down my WAY too yellow-orange walls...

ElectraToo
11 years ago

Cross posting this in the Home Decorating forum.

So I picked out the paint colors for my new construction house. The colors that came off the neutral paint strips? No problems at all. They look great. I can also live with the green and blue I chose for the bedrooms even though I'd like a bit more gray in both because they are not very far off what I was going for (but I'll probably re-paint myself at some point after we've lived in a bit if I still am not 100% happy).

The family room/kitchen/dining room, however, are another story. I chose SW6668 Sunrise because I was going for a very sunny, South-of-France kind of look. The result resembles something more like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. It would probably be fine in a small room but on such a large area, it's a bit much. I think really what I need is more of beige with golden undertones (and no orange at all). I'm kind of embarrassed not to have figured this out before it went up because I'm a graphic designer and I KNOW colors are always brighter when there's more of it. I also know yellow is very tricky. Alas, here we are, the painters are finished, and I just know I can't live with these walls.

I am prepared for it to cost me to have them come back out and paint over it (and I'm a little annoyed that they they took down all of the tape and stuff before I OK'ed it, but that's another post). I'm just trying to figure out what would be the most economical way to do it. I don't want to have to (pay to) prime the walls again. I am tempted to just pick a color and stick it up on one of the walls and see if it works. If I had to choose right now, I would probably go with SW6128 Blonde. However, since it would be going over Mac n Cheese instead of white, I'm not sure.

Any predictions on what kind of results I would get if I just tried to paint over this existing color? Should I go lighter and more muted than I think I want, knowing that this brighter color is underneath?

Or maybe I should just go with Builder Beige and not worry about it. ;o)

Comments (19)