SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therustyone

Do you peel your . . . . . .

Rusty
5 years ago

. . . . . cucumbers? I'm just curious. I love cucumbers, as long as they are peeled, can't stand the taste of the peel. So, much as I love them, I pick them out of salads, etc., in restaurants, because it seems restaurants never ever completely peel them. Why don't they? Lazy? Think they 'look better' with peel, or strips of peel? Does anyone actually like the taste of the peel on?

I don't peel potatoes (usually, depending on use, plus I like potato peel), nor carrots, and probably several other vegetables. But cucumbers with peels on are nasty! INMHO, anyway!

Rusty

Comments (44)

• peaceofmind
    5 years ago

I don't peel cucumbers but I won't eat unpeeled carrots. If cucumbers are fresh and well grown the peeling tastes fine. I don't have any rational excuse for not eating unpeeled carrots.

Rusty thanked peaceofmind
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I peel cucumbers, and carrots. I usually peel potatoes as well. The only cucumbers I buy are English, but I still peel them.

Rusty thanked Jasdip
  • Related Discussions

peeling plums

Q

Comments (4)
    I didn't peel my Damson Plums because they are so very small (like a big blueberry) and because they are naturally astringent the tangy peel wouldn't make a diff in tartness. I did "peel" my black-skinned plums by quartering them, taking out the pit, softening them in a pot with a little water, then by using a Foley food mill to get rid of the peel. The amber pulp was gorgeous in my Orange and Plum Jam which might have been murky and have dark little chewy bits in it if I had not peeled them. Some plums have a nice peel that, when chopped small with the pulp and cooked down, give a lovely rosy color to their jam. Easy way to tell is to take one plum, divide it, and try both methods cooked in a bit of water each and with a little sugar. Nancy
    ...See More

Peeling Garbanzos: The Experiment (photo)

Q

Comments (20)
    The S&W's from Costco haven't many skins, but the Trader Joes are a disaster - they are small, irregular, chalky and have lots of peels. Here's what I do - put them in a strainer bowl that fits in a larger bowl (I have a set built like this I at at a Japanese store). Fill the bowls with water, swish, swish, swish those peels off. Fish the peeled ones out and set aside, leaving the unpeeled ones in the bowl along with the peels. I'm never buying these at TJs again. PIA.
    ...See More

Do you cut it, peel it, or tear into it?

Q

Comments (19)
    Any of you "Ripper"s named "Jack"? My friend gave me a few unpackagd rolls a while ago. It's been so long, as I live alone and usually try to carry out movements away from home ... ... that I almost forget how. Ripper, I think - poke a hole where the hole in the tube is, often. I thought that it must be apples: I don't "tear into" oranges. Hope you enjoy life - with this being your only required "evacuation": no forest fires, floods, etc. to drive you away from your habitation. ole joyful
    ...See More

Pumpkins...peeling?

Q

Comments (6)
    Just like hound_x_two, except I don't scoop the seeds first - I think they are easier to remove after baking. They can still be toasted after if you like. The rind generally just peels off easily. I bake at 325-375f (exact temp not really important) until a knife slides easily through the rind and pulp, let cool, then either mash or not, and put into freezer bags in portions for using later. Be sure to use a rimmed pan in the oven; they release a lot of liquid while baking.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

We always buy the kind labeled as English or Persian cucumbers. They're often thinner than regular cukes. No need to peel.

Here's a short discussion from a Chowhound forum. Some suggest regular cukes are waxed and that the skin can be bitter, either a good reason to peel it first. I don't know if that's right or wrong but we like the premium kinds better.

Cucumbers

Rusty thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I peel my cukes. I love the seeds, can't stand the peel. At least on regular supermarket cukes. I am fine with English and some farmer's market cukes not being peeled.

I can't stand the current trend to peel part and leave the rest on at restaurants. If you are going to start to peel the regular cuke… STOP BEING LAZY AND FINISH THE JOB. I don't need the wax, for one.

Rusty thanked artemis_ma
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I'd peel Russet potatoes, but I don't feel the serious need. I don't buy them for home cooking anyway.

I don't peel Yukon golds, my favorite taters - these I am fine as they grow.

Not fond of carrots to begin with, they end up in mirepoix, and there by the time one fishes them out, no one cares whether they got peeled or not.

Rusty thanked artemis_ma
  • linda_6
    5 years ago

I also peel my cu.cumbers, potatoes, carrots, and celery

Rusty thanked linda_6
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

I wash them well but don't peel because the peel has a lot of the nutrients, but I buy organic. Cucumber peels I find harder to digest but I usually just use them in salads and I dice them up pretty small.

Rusty thanked katrina_ellen
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

The only cucumbers I like are small ones, fresh from my garden. They have a very thin skin and don't need to be peeled. The large ones from the grocery store would require peeling but I mostly avoid them

Rusty thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

I don't peel my homegrown cukes nor the English variety we buy at the grocery. I don't peel potatoes or carrots, either.

Rusty thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

For some people except for the ones Elmer mentioned the peel can cause gastric distress. Seeds when the cuk is older can do the same thing.

One of the things that I consider old fashion because I first saw the use of cucumbers this way in a 1880's cookbook that is starting to be on menus here is cooked cucumbers. The flavor is slightly different and they can go from firm to mush quickly depending on how they are fixed, steamed, stir fried, or chunks in stews and soups. The older cookbooks suggested parboiling, throwing out that water then cooking until tender.

Rusty thanked maifleur01
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I only eat the ones I pick from my garden and no I don't peel them. I often don't "seed" them as instructed either. I stand in the whole foods group and prefer to eat all the vitamins etc. vegetables have to offer.

Rusty thanked arcy_gw
  • ldstarr
    5 years ago

I rarely peel vegetables, but should I buy a "store" cuke, it will be peeled and seeded.

Rusty thanked ldstarr
  • catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Linda, celery? Do you mean the strings or do you actually peel it?

Rusty thanked catticusmockingbird
  • User
    5 years ago

Yes, on cucumbers the peel is bitter. It is okay if you pickle them, but not fresh. Even the ones I grow in the garden, I don't seed, but I try to buy "small". I don't buy the "other" kinds of cucumbers. Potatoes I peel. Carrots I peel. I do keep the carrot peelings and ends in the freezer for chicken stock. Since I don't peel potatoes with a knife, there is not enough left for potato skin appetizers.

Rusty thanked User
  • liira55
    5 years ago

I don't peel my cucumbers but was taught to cut get the ends off them and rub them against the cucumber to get the bitterness out. Not sure if that's true or not, but its a habit now as is to put my sour cream, cottage cheese and yogurt containers upside down in the fridge to make them last longer.

Rusty thanked liira55
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I peel cukes and also rub the cut off ends as I was taught. I don't peel carrots but I do scrub them with a vegetable brush. I find, personally, the carrots are sweeter with the peel on. I rarely ever buy the so called baby carrots. I like the nice healthy dark orange ones that are full size. I find the best ones at the Mexican market. I don't peel potatoes but scrub them also.

Rusty thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

DH can’t stand cukes with peel! Will pick them out of a salad when at a restaurant.

Rusty thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • ont_gal
    5 years ago

I have to peel cukes, as that coating of wax turns my stomach and you never know where they've been or if really washed.

Even out of my summer garden I peel cukes.....carrots-same thing-have to peel them-cannot "trust"the industry.

Rusty thanked ont_gal
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"Yes, on cucumbers the peel is bitter."

The peel on English/Persian cucumbers isn't bitter.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

The peel on English/Persian cucumbers isn't bitter.

And it's not waxed.

Rusty thanked catticusmockingbird
  • User
    5 years ago

Well, it is to me. I have had it and I don't like it. You eat the peel, I am not. Yes, I know what an "English" cucumber is and I STILL think it is bitter! They wrap them in plastic and I DO NOT LIKE the peel!

Rusty thanked User
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I peel 4 little strips lenghthwise before I slice them. I think it makes them look pretty.

Rusty thanked marilyn_c
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I think the cut the ends off and rub on the cuke is a holdover from when almost all cukes had spiny projections on the sides. Other than a mental thing unless you rubbed the sides firmly enough to damage the flesh below the skin rubbing should do little to the flavor.

Rusty thanked maifleur01
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

The only time I peel cucumbers is when I make my cucumber dip. I always peel carrots. Potatoes are peeled for everything except baked potatoes and sometimes scalloped potatoes.

Rusty thanked functionthenlook
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

I don't peel any vegetables except hard squash. I can't think of anything else. Well and of course onions and garlic.

Rusty thanked aok27502
  • nickel_kg
    5 years ago

I peel "regular" cukes but don't it doesn't bother me if a salad comes with a couple unpeeled slices. My grandparents taught us to take a slice off each end of a cucumber and taste it. If bitter, cut another hefty slice off and try again. I don't remember ever having a cuke be bitter the whole way through, but maybe that happens sometimes. Grandpa grew them every year in his garden. I don't think they ever had the long skinny kind.

For carrots, I give a good scrubbing to the ones I buy at the farmer's
    market from farmers I trust, otherwise I peel them. I peel potatoes if
    the skin isn't clear, usually leave them on if the skin is pretty. Somewhere I read that the nutrients being in the potato's skin was a myth, but that was a while ago so other studies probably have contradicted it by now, so do as you please!

Rusty thanked nickel_kg
  • kadefol
    5 years ago

I don't really peel anything, except bananas and citrus fruit. :) I buy a lot of fruit and veg organic (the dirty dozen list) so I don't feel the need. But I do wash the heck out of them with vinegar water before using. I know people who don't wash fruit nor produce before eating or cooking, yuck.

Rusty thanked kadefol
  • linda_6
    5 years ago

catticusmockingbird - yes I actually use a potato peeler and peel my celery. I just take off the top layer.

Rusty thanked linda_6
  • Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've tried those long, skinny 'English' (or whatever they're supposed to be) cukes that come wrapped in plastic, and I don't like their peels, either. I raised my own cukes (preferably the 'burpless' variety) up until about 10 years ago. Always peeled them, even when picked very young. I just don't like those peels! I'm glad to know it is not "just me!" Never thought of them as particularly bitter, they just taste nasty!

I've also tried the cut off the end and rub method, couldn't tell that it made a bit of difference.

My mother always used to say that all the 'good stuff' in a vegetable or fruit was closest to the skin, yet she always peeled potatoes, and cukes. Carrots, turnips, most root vegetables, got a good scrub. Wax coatings were not a problem, we raised all our own vegetables.

Rusty

• Rusty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Linda_6, I only 'de-string' celery if the strings in the large outside ribs seem tough. And not even then if it's going into something that will be well cooked, like soup or stew. Otherwise, it just gets a good wash, too.

Rusty

• amylou321
    5 years ago

I buy the baby English cucumbers. They usually come in bags of 6 or so. I don't peel them. If for some reason i have a regular cucumber, i peel it. I seed all cucumbers, even homegrown or the baby English ones.

Rusty thanked amylou321
  • User
    5 years ago

Yes I do. I do not like eating the peels at all.

Rusty thanked User
  • beesneeds
    5 years ago

Depends on the cuke and what I'm using it for.

Regular store cukes almost always get peeled, or on the occasion striped for
    presentation purposes. Their peels are meant to be that bit
    thicker/tougher/waxed that are unappealing to me.

English/plasticwrapped store cukes often are not peeled, except for a particular cuke
    salad mom makes, and the occasional striped for presentation, like
    making cuke shot glasses.

Home grown cukes can depend on themarket, variety, and growing season. Some varieties are good to leavethe skin on in general, others not so much. Burpless, Marketmore, andLemon are all ok skins, but I'm not fond of Straight 8 or White Wonder skins. In a dryer season or from a market grower that seems to not water
    well, the peels can be icky and need to come off regardless of variety.

For folks that aren't fond of the bitterness, cutting off more of the stem end and peeling can help since that's where the cucurbitacin concentrates more.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think the cukes that are covered in plastic cling-wrap are so covered precisely because they're not treated with wax.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I peel the ones from the store because they are waxy and because I don't care for the peels. I stopped buying the cucs from the farmers market, because no matter which seller or market I purchased from, the cucs (the flesh, not the skin) are always too bitter to eat. Always seed the cucumbers. Don't like the English, but the lemon ones are ok.

Rusty thanked DawnInCal
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I buy English cucumbers that are wrapped in plastic. I do not peel them but I wash them well. If I buy the waxed ones, I peel them.

Rusty thanked Elizabeth
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

I'm not crazy about cukes, peeled or otherwise, but now buy the organic Persian cukes from Trader Joe's and they've turned me into a cuke lover! No peeling necessary; the skin is more like zucchini skin texture. Some of our farmer's market vendors are now growing Persian cukes, but if I can't get them there, I head to TJ's to round out my veggie purchases with their cukes.

Rusty thanked Olychick
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I wish I liked the flavor of cukes because there are several seed sources that sell seeds of types from all over the world. I only want to try them and not waste them. Since not even the squirrels will eat then the few times I have planted odd, to me, ones like the lemon cukes I have given up.

Rusty thanked maifleur01
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Yes, I usually peel a cucumber, except the English variety and most of the small ones I grow. I can’t stand that waxy feel on a regular cucumber. I taste the ones I grow first to see if the skin is bitter. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. I don’t usually peel carrots but I brush with a stiff brush.

Rusty thanked OutsidePlaying
  • quasifish
    5 years ago

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The peel doesn't bother me. In the past few years I've found that the regular cucumbers from the grocery store often have no flavor to the point that they seem almost plastic-y. We buy the English cucumbers most of the time. I often make refrigerator pickles with sliced English cucumbers and they would probably be odd without the peel.

Carrots are always peeled unless home grown and potatoes depend on the potato and what is to be done with them.

Rusty thanked quasifish
  • Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

I don't peel cukes...just wash them really, really well. I do peel carrots because

they never look that clean to me and they are grown in the ground, of course.

Potatoes depends on what I am doing with them, too. Baked...just washed

really well. Boiled...peeled. Fried...both..either or. Any other cooked way, I

peel.

Rusty thanked Uptown Gal
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

No I scrub everything and eat it as it is. That gets rid of the wax enough for us here. And I don't mind a bit of bitter and seed. I usually counter it with the flavor of the dressing.

Rusty thanked yeonassky
  • joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Peel cucumbers, eat the seeds.

Early after harvest, usually scrub potatoes, carrots, etc., but later in the season when the surfaces have deteriorated some, more inclined to peel, at least the less attractive area.

o j

Rusty thanked joyfulguy