SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

A rant of grief for my late mother . . .

l pinkmountain
5 years ago

I wrote this on BP's china closet thread but then deleted it because it was sad and off-topic, but I'm gonna share some of my personal grief here because I know a lot of folks here are lovers of fine things and family traditions, and I don't really have anyone left in my social circle/family to commiserate with. I don't need advice since any actions have been fully explored, just maybe a little sympathy . . . I'm living in my mother's house that I inherited, and this sadness and irony hits me a lot. Folks who shared my mother's elegant taste or even know or appreciated it are becoming fewer and fewer in my life.

About two thirds of my dishware and linens are inherited from my mom or grandmothers, particularly the really nice stuff. She didn't get it out on a regular basis in her later years, although she still managed to entertain occasionally right up to the end. My husband and I have Sunday dinner almost every weekend and go all out for it with the family stuff at the table, and invite my father. It makes me so sad that right when I finally moved back near my parents my mom died within two weeks. I had hoped to be able to help her continue to enjoy some of the finer things in life, as life with my father was tough to live with. Now he's the one left, and every Sunday when I make a nice meal he complains that he isn't hungry, has no appetite, nothing looks good to him. Every single time, no matter what, it is his default rant. And then he sits there sullenly in my mother's beautiful dining room eating one of her favorite recipes that I have prepared, off of her lovely china, and says his life sucks and he has nothing and no one. He's mentally ill and refuses treatment, so I get that he is going to be like that and that it is his sickness talking.

I have had to detach from his self-imposed problems. Even when he gets so bad that I will have to take conservatorship of him, he will still have the right to refuse treatments or spend his remaining days fighting with his care staff, which will not end my having to deal with his insistence on punishing not only himself but everyone around him. That is not what bothers me. What bothers me is that my mother would have SO ENJOYED the experience of these family dinners, sharing upbeat family stories and memories and enjoying the company and food and using her nice things. She had joie de vive. It pains me that due to my having to work full-time to support myself and having to leave my hometown to find employment, my ability to do those kinds of things with her in life was somewhat limited. We did it whenever we could, which was quite a bit over the years, but the irony was that just as I moved back home to be able to do it A LOT, she died. I didn't even get a couple of months with her! I was about to buy a house where she could have come to visit and stay when things go too rough with my dad . . . So even though I try to be understanding with my dad, his negativity rubs salt on a wound. The one who would appreciate it died, and the one who kept her from appreciating a lot of her nice things is still here, continuing his tradition of negativity.

I don't deal with it day in and day out like my mother did, and a lot of it I have learned to detach from, but sometimes during these family meals it's like a knife stabbing at my heart. I know my father thinks the solution to his grief and guilt is to endlessly flog himself, but he cares not one whit that some of the rest of us don't enjoy being involved in that. It made my mother miserable in life and I'm sure she would be miserable knowing the tradition continues . . . (Note: like my mother, I don't usually dwell on my dad's crazy, I try to take time to enjoy my friends and even some of her friends who are still around, people who do appreciate the gifts of life and respect the concerns of others.) It's just sometimes that it really gets to me, which is why I'm ranting now.

Of course this is my dad's personal hell, but it's so hard because he insists that everyone join him there. It's only once a week, and I do it because I try to be forgiving of him just as my mother was, but he really doesn't deserve it. Which is I guess why he has decided his remaining life is going to be "hair shirt" all the time, to punish himself. He's not the only killjoy in the family or of his generation. Nothing to be done, we've tried everything and then some, so this was just a vent on my part.

Comments (44)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm