SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adambrightreg

Which is most efficient: Electric Toe Kick, Baseboard, Floor Insert?

A B
5 years ago

Hey Everyone,

We're trying to solve a heating design dilemma in our kitchen project.

Our kitchen (open concept to the dining room and then the living room) has a door that leads to a side balcony.

This door is not incredibly heat-tight, partially because the frame has shifted a bit with age and partially because it's made of mostly glass. But we don't have the funds (or the desire) to replace it.

The previous owner's kitchen cabinets were perpendicular to the door--and to ward off the patio door cold, she installed a tiny electric baseboard heater into the kitchen cabinet's end panel.

Here's a photo:

We're doing a remodel that is going to update all the kitchen components, while maintaining the same basic kitchen footprint.

Our contractor keeps pointing out that this heater is in a sub-optimal location, because the heat is rising sort of perpendicular to where cold air is entering. His solution is to install radiant heat floors (under ceramic or porcelain) throughout the kitchen. We don't want to do this because we're on the third floor of a very old building, we don't like stone surfaces, and we don't believe that radiant heat will do the job of keeping us warm. (We live in Montreal.)

So I'm looking to see if the electric heat set-up can be improved.

• One solution I've thought of is to install a toe-kick heater, connected to the kitchen thermostat, that would blow hot air perpendicularly across the door threshold. I have no idea if it's structurally okay to cut through a kitchen end panel (part of which, according to Ikea, is structural) to install a toe kick heater, and I also don't know if it's an aesthetic mistake, but it's one idea.
  • Another solution I've thought of is to install floor inset convection, directly in front of the door.
  • The third solution is to keep the current mini-baseboard set up (or--if I can find a tiny enough baseboard--to try to mount a baseboard directly against the non-moving bottom frame of the door, with enough clearance that the opening door won't bump it).

For what it's worth, the floors will be solid wood birch.

My questions for you Houzz experts/heros/heroines:

• All things being equal, which is the most energy efficient form of heat--baseboard, floor inset convection, or toe-kick heater?
  • Which solution would you choose, and why?

Thank you!!!

--AB

Comments (10)