SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccoy8382

Gas Heat to replace Electric Baseboards

mccoy8382
6 years ago

We just bought a 1800 sq. ft. single family home (built in 1971- including basement, 2400 sq. ft). Our heating is electric baseboards in every room, we have central air in two zones 1st floor and 2nd floor (one air return in the 2nd floor hallway ceiling), no AC in basement. We have no gas to the house, but it is on the street. Our current AC system is only 5 years old. We have begun the process of getting quotes to switch to gas heat. We have gotten a few quotes back that I want input on.

*Since our AC is newer, quotes include a hydrocoil heating system with a boiler in the basement and air handler in the attic (attached to current AC system). Should we go with a hybrid system or just start over since we are switching to gas?

*Should we add ducts to the basement? Or can we get mini-splits in the basement (wouldn't that be cheaper?), so we can get rid of electric baseboards there as well.

*The quotes haven't added any more returns in the house, shouldn't we get at least another return on the 1st floor to get proper heating throughout the house?

We plan on getting more quotes, but I want to be informed to get the best product/installation.

Comments (13)

• tigerdunes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with Mike about adding a nat gas forced air furnace system. you probably will need ductwork modifications. I would add a small supply and return to basement area...what is your location?...I don't understand why a boiler would be considered....your location please...ductwork to basement should be more practical and less expensive than a mini split.

IMO

mccoy8382 thanked tigerdunes
  • Related Discussions

Replacing baseboard heat

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree that baseboard heat is optimal, especially if the baseboards are hot water radiators. They are highly efficient and provide consistent heat. Retrofitting ductwork for central AC involves a lot of idiosyncratic technical issues. You will need a competent contractor to look over the place and give you an opinion on how-to and the cost.
    ...See More

electric heat vs. LP gas stove

Q

Comments (1)
    theblaiser While probably not telling you anything you don't already know, you have two of the most expensive forms of fuel for winter heating. I am attaching a fuel comparison calculator which will give you a close estimate. You will need the efficiency on your LP gas stove/inserts. Of course the baseboard electric heat has no efficiency. Just plug in the electric cost and the calculator will spit out a cost for baseboard heat. It appears LP is more expensive using an average electric cost of $.115/kw. A high eff heat pump would save you some significant $$$. Hope this is helpful. IMO Here is a link that might be useful: Fuel Comparison Calculator
    ...See More

Electric baseboard heat won't shut off

Q

Comments (6)
    I pretty much can do what I like with the apartment with some restrictions as my step-dad and mom own the house with an in-law apartment. I do know an electrician. I was hoping it was something like replacing the thermostat unit thinking something internal was wrong. As my boyfriend and step-dad can do small electrical work. Looks like I'll have to call my friend.
    ...See More

Replace electric baseboard heaters with wall heaters?

Q

Comments (2)
    I had a cabin with electric baseboard heaters. The heaters were located under windows. If I did not use the heaters in the winter, the windows would get condensation. Which wall heater, a gas wall heater would cost $2-3k with installation.
    ...See More
  • mccoy8382
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are in Metro Boston area. So a hydrocoil system wouldn't be efficient for my climate? Our basement is half below ground, half above. We were just going to leave the electric baseboards, but someone suggested it may be more efficient for the mini-splits, but obviously if we are able, ductwork would be the best route. For whatever reason we can't get duct work in the basement, should we just leave the electric baseboard?

• mike_home
    6 years ago

Hydrocoil systems are not common and expensive. I am no experience with them, but I would think they would be less efficient than a furnace that is is rated 95%+ efficiency.

A mini split would cost less to operate than electric baseboard. However it will cost you $7-10K for a mini split installation. You may never recover that initial cost. I suggest leaving the electric baseboard in the basement since the heating load is small. If you could add a furnace vent or two then you could use the electric baseboard as a supplement on very cold nights and keep the operating costs low.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    6 years ago

Where is your current A/C system and ducts located? If its in the basement (and works well) I would recommend replacing it with a new unit that provides both gas heat and A/C. If its in the attic, you may not be satisfied with just adding the heat capability, since it will be hard to force the hot air downward in the winter, and the top floor will always be much warmer.

I also agree that its easiest to leave the baseboard heat in the basement, and you probably don't need A/C there if its mostly below ground. However, having A/C ducts there would help with dehumidifying the basement, which is often a concern.

Bruce

• ionized_gw
    6 years ago

Matching new and
    newfangled systems to existing homes can be very challenging. All electric homes were typically very well
    insulated but even that might not be up to today’s standards. Have there been improvements in air sealing
    and insulation since the home was built?

I can see why the
    hydronic coil might be useful. You don’t have room for a furnace where the
    existing air handler is, and the the duct system can’t be made to work with a
    furnace in the basement. There are a couple of problems to consider with the
    hydrocoil idea. To have a large capacity, hydrocoils need to be big or run hot,
    your choice. Since you don’t have room
    for a furnace with the existing AHU, you might not have room for a big
    hydrocoil either. You might be able to ameliorate this somewhat with more than
    one coil in the ductwork if it can be fit.
    Ok what is the problem with a hot hydrocoil? That seems logical after all. It has to be hot to provide heat, right? It boils down to physics if you'll forgive the cheap humor. For anywhere near efficient boiler operation,
    you need your return water to be below 130 F.
    Even lower, much lower, is better.

Hot water-driven
    convectors (aluminum fin baseboards) also need relatively hot water, but not
    nearly as hot as a typical hydrocoil in an AHU. Toe-kick heaters are
    hydrocoils. Radiant floor heat can use
    very low temp water and are a good match for condensing boilers. Cast iron radiators are pretty good too,
    falling between the convectors and radiant floor heat. You can run them all from one boiler as well
    as domestic hot water (and melt the snow on your driveway if you want) and it
    can all be done with upwards of 95% combustion efficiency with skillful
    design. That is easy with a new
    building, but you have to be somewhat lucky with an existing home. You also have to know a lot of stuff yourself
    or have a very good installer. With a
    boiler in the basement, you could run the hydrocoil and install baseboard close
    by in the basement in a separate zone. My only caveat there is that small zones can be a problem
    without a buffer to keep the boiler from short cycling.

Maybe efficiency of
    the boiler is not your top concern.
    After all, you are going from electricity as fuel to nat gas. The
    difference between boilers burning at 82 and 98% might not be a big deal. Just don’t let someone install a high
    efficiency boiler that can’t take advantage of that design because you can’t both run it at low water temps and keep your house warm. It won’t work very well. Note that in less than the coldest weather if
    the system is set up right, you can still run in an efficient mode with lower water
    temps, just not for as much of the time.
    If a modulating/condensing boiler is dropped into a system where it is
    snapping on and off a lot and can’t condense, it will be neither efficient nor
    last long. They are not built for that
    and since they cost more, even a bigger waste of money right from the start.

• ionized_gw
    6 years ago

Here are some considerations for boiler chic if you go that route.

Don’t settle for a combi boiler providing both heat and
    domestic hot water directly without a lot of proof that it will work well for
    you. They are difficult to fit to heating and hot water needs in houses, but
    might work better in apartments and condos. An indirect tank on a
    different boiler might be a much better choice.

There is a company very local to you
    makes a system that is might often be a best match to existing hydro systems
    and don’t require the sophisticated engineering that some other condensing
    boilers do. It might work well for you. The HTP Versahydro and
    Versaflame boilers look like a very good idea. The primary heat exchanger
    appears to take advantage of the natural polarization of hot water in the tank.
    The buffer is built in. If your demand is low, you might substitute a
    Westinghouse Stainless SteelGas-FiredWater Heater. They are either
    licenced or built by HTP and have a 1:3 turndown ratio vs. 1:5 for the Versa
    boilers. They won’t do domestic hot water unless your installer adds a
    secondary heat exchanger (and indirect tank). It could be a very cost-effective
    solution, and is more forgiving of less than optimal system design, like the
    HTP Versas, due to its buffering capacity.

Finally, for hydronic heat and boilers, there are a couple
    of boards that I know of that have a lot of generous and knowledgeable
    posters. One is Terrylove.com (DIY forums) and the other is
    heatinghelp.com.

• mike_home
    6 years ago

I don't see the benefit of spending all the additional money on a boiler for a hydrocoil system versus a forced hot air system. From a financial and efficiency perspective the forced hot air system is the better choice in my opinion.

• fsq4cw
    6 years ago

RE: mike_home

“I don't see the benefit of spending all the additional
    money on a boiler for a hydrocoil system versus a forced hot air system. From a
    financial and efficiency perspective the forced hot air system is the better
    choice in my opinion.”

The short answer is that every situation is different and
    unique. Hybrid systems might also be considered to either rule in or out in any
    given situation, particularly where hydronics already exist.

“A given volume of water can absorb almost 3500 times a much
    heat as the same volume of air, when both undergo the same temperature change.”

Therein lies the potential efficiency gain. Whereas forced
    air requires large ducts and high wattage blower motors to circulate air,
    water, for the same Btu transfer, requires small diameter piping and much
    lower wattage circulators. Hydronic systems can also be easier to zone, also
    increasing efficiencies.

Hydronics can be quieter, create less draft and may
    contribute to greater open usable space when embedded within the floor.

Of course all HVAC ‘Systems’ require proper design,
    installation and control management to deliver comfort and efficiency.

IMPO

SR

• mike_home
    6 years ago

fsq4cw,

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the OP means when he refers to a hydrocoil system. I think it means hot water boiler connected to a coil which a blower forces past on its way to be distributed thorough a system of ducts.

However if we are talking about a hot water boiler connected to baseboard radiators, then I agree with you that overall would be more efficient and comfortable.

• fsq4cw
    6 years ago

Hi Mike,

I think you have it right. My post was just a general
    statement. We can’t really say what the OP should do as we’re not there. We can
    only suggest avenues to explore.

SR

• ionized_gw
    6 years ago

I don't have installation costs or operating costs.

I don't know if a furnace in the current position of the air handler is practical. I don't know if ducts from a basement furnace is practical. If the answers to the location questions are no, what to do?: is hydrocoil the only choice? How about high velocity? Can't say that I have not heard much about that recently.

• mike_home
    6 years ago

The OP needs to return and provide more details of the current location of the equipment and how it is connected to the existing duct work.