SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129542160

Possible/realistic to add upstairs bathroom away from plumbing stack?

HU-129542160
5 years ago

I have a small cape cod style house with a steep roof built in the 1950s. The master bedroom upstairs has sloped ceilings and short 5 ft walls with small doors leading to the attic crawl space created by the steep roof with each side extending out about 6.5 ft. I want to build a shed dormer to turn the crawl space into a small master bathroom and walk-in closet.

But there are many challenges. First, I'm not even sure we can reclaim enough space sufficient for a bathroom. Second, the side where I want the new dormer to be built is the opposite side from the plumbing stack. So, to add new plumbing I'd need to somehow run around 12 ft of 3" pipe through the joists because (of course) they are running the wrong way. Even worse, the joists are 2x6s spaced 16" apart. A bit of research said the slope needed for the drain pipe would require a drop of over 3", and also that punching 3" pipe through 2x6s isn't acceptable, so I'm thinking this is a no go. What do you think? Possible? Worth it? Is there another way?

Comments (15)