SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Bathroom addition and layout for 1924 bungalow

equest17
11 years ago

I'm hoping the bath forum works like the kitchen forum and that there are some layout gurus hanging around. We have a 1924 brick bungalow that we have been restoring for the past year. It's in very original condition, to the extent that it has only one small bath on the first floor. We will be finishing out an upstairs space to make a master bedroom and need to make an addition on the second floor for the bathroom. We have renovated a few houses in the past and done several kitchens, but we have never done anything more than a facelift for a bath, so this is all new territory and a little intimidating!

The house:

I have measured the house and drawn a (fairly) accurate blueprint of the existing structure and the proposed gable addition. We're planning the bathroom to be very similar to the existing gable dormer on the front of the house (my small craft room), just extending to the rear (which is north, if it makes any difference).

Upstairs overview:

Close-up:

Since the rear gable doesn't exist yet, everything on my plan is flexible, including room dimensions. I just picked something similar to the front gable, but I have to work with the load bearing walls down below (you can see the first floor plan in the faint blue lines), so I went a little wider.

Layout of fixtures, placement of door and windows, everything is negotiable right now. It won't be a true master suite because we'll have to enter the bath from the hall, but I think that makes the most sense for our layout and usage (I heard Sarah Richardson call this style a "family bath" in her old farmhouse reno).

The bath is drawn at 13' 6" by 10'. We would like a decent sized stand-alone shower. Since it's the only bathroom upstairs, I thought it would make sense to add a tub in case we're ever able to have kids. So the "tub/shower" in the top left corner is my proposed vintage claw foot tub (my software doesn't have an icon for that ;-). I would like two sinks, and would consider a standard double vanity. I happen to have found two tall 38" wide by 18" deep changing tables with good storage that I would like to convert to vanities. They are a great price and I think I can add a small drop in or vessel sink to the open shelf side. I could store towels or other flexible items in front of the plumbing. Does that sound crazy? Otherwise, I think we'd only have a budget for Ikea Hemnes if we stick with two separate vanities. I like the look of pedestal sinks, but we have one downstairs and really need more storage than they offer.

Changer:

Hemnes:

I'm a little concerned about the bathroom door placement and door swing. I would prefer for the door to be centered on the hallway wall, or in line with the staircase. But I can't seem to make that happen. If I scoot it to the left, it seems to crowd the shower (but maybe that's okay?). If I go all the way to the right, I can't figure out how to arrange the vanities. We could consider making the addition wider (we have to take the support beams several more feet to the left anyway to carry the load on the downstairs wall), but then the dormer starts to get asymmetrical from the exterior. I'd also like to plan for some more storage, either free standing or built in, but I'm not sure where. I haven't thought through plumbing access for the shower, but maybe some sort of closet on the north side of the shower wall could contain the access panel and shelving?

We haven't purchased anything yet, but I would like to start searching for vintage items, like the clawfoot tub and windows. We already have a spare original door, but we don't have to use it if the size doesn't work. I'm open to any and all suggestions, even a complete revamping of the floorplan. Feedback please!

Comments (12)