SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Add a bathroom or redo existing?

scoutfinch72
15 years ago

Bear with me, since I'm new here and this could be long!

We just bought a 1950s brick ranch house (our first home!) that was last updated (badly) in 1985. We had originally had more extensive renovations planned but dh lost his job last week very unexpectedly. Bathrooms were at the top of our list and still are, however we have much less to spend than we did a week ago because we can't drain our savings right now.

The house has an full basement that has been gutted to the studs and has 4 bedrooms upstairs and 1 full bath in the hall. However, the master bedroom was added on to the back of the house in 1985 and you have to walk through the 3rd bedroom to get to it, effectively making that bedroom a sitting area. There is also no closet in the added master. Our original plan was to turn the sitting area into a closet/master bath. Then we also planned to renovate the existing hall bath. Now we can really only afford to do one of those projects. DH and I disagree which we should do. I am leaning toward renovating the existing bathroom, he is leaning toward the master bath. Can anyone give me some advice about which direction to go on this? From my perspective, the most important thing is adding value to the home, since we plan to refi to rid ourselves of PMI as soon as we have enough equity. We need to add about 20K in value to our house to get there.

The hall bathroom has the original tub and tile, both of which have been re-glazed. The tub is blue (as is the toilet, sink, laminate vanity and cabinet) and the tile is white but is showing the original pink in places. We have the FREE services of a plumber at our disposal so labor is covered. He would also do the plumbing for the added bath if we went that route.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1507826}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths