SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

Need to redo master bathroom

Peke (Patti)
4 years ago

We have a half bath and a full bath in our master bedroom. There is an upstairs bath with a tub/shower combo and a hall 3/4 bath with a shower. The 3/4 hall bath could be changed to a tub/shower. This makes 2 full baths, 1 3/4 bath, and 1 half bath. We will be moving in about a year, so anything we do needs to be for resale purposes.

In our master bath, we have a whirlpool tub with tile shower surround. Mauve! Who chose that color??? Toilet and sink are mauve as well. The floor tile is black marble with white veins. Since we also have a half bath in the master bath, and since it has its own sink, we do not need two sinks in the full master bath. Currently the sink is set at an angle. We have medium oak cabinets.

I hate the angled sink. Plus because of the L shaped countertop, we will have to buy a much larger piece of granite for the new countertop. Because of the angled sink, the cabinet door underneath is narrow. I can't find anything in that cabinet because of how narrow the door is.

1. So, I think I should tear out the sink cabinet and make a rectangular cabinet with the sink on one end. No more L shaped counter. Any suggestions on that or any other ideas? I could put the new counter on the longest wall (6'4") or on the shorter wall (4'4") since I only need room for 1 sink. If I put the counter on the 4'4" wall, I could put a tall medicine cabinet on the side of the 24" deep cabinet that is already there. I could attach a mirror to that door.

2. I have a 5 ft x 5 ft space behind the door to the bedroom where the tub/shower is. The current tub/shower takes up 4'10" x 3' of that 5' x 5' space., so if I remove the tub, the shower could be enlarged. I would love to have a small soaking tub inside the shower, but I don't have the room. If I remove the tub, should I also remove the wall next to it? (and remove the lowered ceiling above the tub.) The 4" wall is between the toilet and the tub. I could either make it a half wall and add a glass panel. Or I could remove the entire wall and put a glass panel from the floor going up. The side of an upper cabinet touches that wall right now. With the glass, it will be lighter inside the shower. But, if I leave the wall, the shower will have plenty of light because we will add a glass panel shower door. I think keeping the wall has a less chance of a leak, but the glass panel looks more current.

3. How large should I make the shower? How much room should I leave behind the door? Does the glass need to swing out or do I have enough room to have a stationary glass panel?

4 . For the new shower, I think it will have a tile floor. I am not a fan of acrylic shower pans. I have not built a new shower since 2000, so I do not know the newest things on the market. In 2000, we had a shower membrane made of rubber underneath the tiles. I cannot rely on local contractors to know the best products to use. We live in a rural area 2 hours from a large city. None of the plumbers here know about the newest and best ways to build showers. I had to go online to explain to them how to redo our pool plumbing. They are good at what they know how to do, but that is all. So, I need to know everything before I bring plumbers in. (They kept telling me that I had to have a wall switch for the garbage disposal even after I showed them the air switch I wanted on the Lowe's website.)

5. If I remove the tub, I have room to add a whirlpool tub in the hall bathroom. As far as resale goes, is it better to have a whirlpool in the master bath?

Thanks for any suggestions. I will post a sketch if I can get my scanner working.

Comments (31)