SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Calamondin Orange Cake

User
5 years ago

Sixteen years ago I bought a week calamondin orange tree. It's survived and thrived and it's always had oranges but I just let them fall -- perhaps used some to garnish but I've never done anything with them. This year the tree was prolific and I found an orange cake recipe on line. It's vintage but it's also prize winning -- it's a beautiful orange color and it is really a good cake. It does have jello and cake mix which seems strange to me. If you don't have the calamondin oranges, I think that the clementines or cuties would work (although they don't have quite the tartness that the calamondin's have)

My tree:

The cake:

The recipe:

VINTAGE PRIZE WINNING CALAMONDIN CAKE

½ c. + 2 T. calamondin puree (or clementine puree)

1 package white cake mix

3 oz. package orange jello

⅓ c. milk

4 large eggs

¾ c. vegetable oil

1 T. lemon juice

Glaze:

2 T. calamondin puree

Zest of 1 orange

8 T. fresh orange juice

2 c. powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350

Grease and flour (or use cooking spray) a large bundt pan, a tube pan, 2 single rounds or 12 mini Bundt pans or muffin tins.

Slice and seed calamondins then place in a food processor and pulse several times until you have a fine puree. Set aside.

Combine cake mix and jello in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, eggs and lemon juice and ½ c. of the puree. Whisk to combine, then add to dry ingredients and stir well to combine.

Pour the batter into prepared baking dish (or dishes)

Bake the bundt or round pans about 40 minutes. For mini bundts or muffin tins, bake for about 20-25 minutes -- check regularly to ensure that they don’t overcook. Remove from oven when a cake tester comes out clean.

Allow to cool slightly while making the glaze. After the cakes have cooled a bit but are still slightly warm, remove from the baking dish (or dishes) onto the serving platter. Spoon the glaze over the warm cake.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES