SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_791822

Half switched/half hot outlet wiring

a b
5 years ago

When I bought my apartment, all four outlets in the living room were half switched, controlled by the wall switches at the two room entrances. After a contractor replaced all the outlets, none were switched. I liked this at first, but now I want to make one half switched and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I checked the outlet wiring and found:

Outlet 1: two white wires on the left; red and black wires on the right, with the tab broken off.

Outlets 2 and 3: two white wires on the left; red and black wires on the right, with the tab intact.

Outlet 4: one white wire on the left; red and black wires on the right, with the tab intact.

It looks like outlet 1 was meant to be half switched - missing tab. Is it not switched because outlets 2, 3, and 4 have the red pigtail wire connected? If that's it, can I just disconnect the red wires and cap them with a wire nut? (Actually, I want outlet 3 to be half switched, so I would then swap outlets 1 and 3.)

I also noticed that none of the outlets has a ground wire in this 1960s apartment. Are the outlets grounded just by being screwed to metal boxes?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (5)