SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadow700

Half-bath - Too many switches?

shadow700
14 years ago

I am doing a little remodeling project in a small, first floor half bath. The room itself is 3' x 7', with the door centered on the 7' wall. When you stand in the doorway, the sink is on the right wall and the commode is on the left wall.

I will be installing a Panasonic Whisperquiet light/fan combo and will have sconces flanking the mirror above the sink.

If everything is independently switched, I will need 4 switches (in order from closest to furthest away from entry, using 2 double gang boxes: ceiling light, fan, night light, sconces).

Does this seem like too many for such a small room?

If it is not too many in total, is it too many in one place?

We've thought about using a triple gang to control the Panasonic and put the sconces on their own switch above and to the right of the sink. That way, they can be turned on independently for makeup application and grooming, but left off when doing some "serious thinking in the office".

We're also trying to think of any situations where one would want the sconces ON, but the main light OFF. If we can't, I might power the sconce switch from the ceiling light switch. This way, setting the sconces to come on with the main lights is as easy as a flick of a switch.

The other idea was to put the fan switch in the room, but on the hinge side of the door ... that way you can kick it on from the throne. Don't laugh... in the upstairs full bath, I put the fan on a 3-way with one switch by the door and the other by the can ... very convenient.

Obviously, this is not a critical life-altering decision, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Comments (10)