SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosiewells7b

Blue velvet couch. Rug help?

5 years ago

My husband and I are currently working on renovating our forever home. We just finished the formal living room and dining room and moved some things in. I was hoping you all would help me decide on a rug and the appropriate size to go under the couch.

Couch measures: 6 ft deep and 12 ft long.

Room where the couch is measures: 16 feet by 13 feet.

My husband thinks we only need to do a rug that is 8 feet square and you shouldn’t have a rug under the couch/chair at all. I am disagreeing as I thought the rug should always extend under the couch by at least a bit?

My question is: do we get one that extends to the windows where we plan on putting a chair once we find one we like? That way that area is incorporated into the couch. We are also making a coffee table out of some cedar from our yard so please excuse the bareness of the rooms.

Just an FYI on the dining table if you are interested: it is made out of the front two doors from my husband’s great-great grandparent’s house. We are making a metal base and using the original door hardware to “join” the doors together again. Then we plan on putting glass on top. we actually based this whole renocation in these rooms to make room for the table as each door measures 96x30. My mother-in-law and I stripped them and we are thinking of leaving them as they are now unless you all think we should oil them?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions! And again, please excuse the work in progress :).

Comments (7)