SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindentree27

Master Bedroom - How to make it cohesive?

lindentree27
5 years ago

We moved into this house four years ago, had a couple babies, and have since done nothing to the master bedroom. I'd like to make it feel more cohesive, but I'm not sure how to to tie together our dressers and bed.

Below are two panoramas of the room. I don't know that any other layouts are possible, as there are lots of doors and a large window. The recliner does not stay (husband had shoulder surgery, but is finally back in bed - just need the muscle to get it back downstairs), but the dressers and bed do stay.

The dressers are cherry, and we love their clean, simple lines. They don't go with the oak, so I'm okay with painting trim and doors and even windows white. We purchased a fantastic cherry bed when we bought the dressers, but it was a queen, and two kids later, have decided a king is a better fit. We're now using an Ikea platform bed in white, with storage drawers on both sides.

Any ideas on how to make the room feel more cohesive? How do I tie the dressers into the platform bed? I'd like some wall color other than white.

Criteria for a new space:

1) Dressers and bed has to stay

2) I want to paint. I'd love to do green on the walls or a wall? not sure what will work with criteria #3. Curtains can go.

3) I'd like paint/decor to work with our existing old Pottery Barn Duvet (which I still love), as well as a new king size quilt I'm working on (pattern pictured below). I'll use the duvet in the winter and the quilt in the summer (not both at the same time).

4) I need new/different nightstands. I'd like to do something floating, so we can access the drawers in the platform bed, but I'm flexible on this. No clue what color or material to aim for -- want to tie the bed and dressers together...

5) I need new bedside lamps. I bought two from west elm a couple of years ago, but haven't gotten around to hanging them. Can't find the ones I bought -- they don't look exactly like t his, but similar. -- white shades with brass accents. Think something like these would work?

6) Our style is a cross between mid-century/Shaker/Scandinavian and Pacific Northwest.

Any suggestions for how to make this space feel cohesive??

Comments (27)