SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceasar2k6

Please help me design a space

ceasar2k6
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi

I am considering putting a bid on a place, which would require doing some demo and adjusting walls. The approx final vision I have is attached, but I am having trouble visualizing basic layout for my needs. This is my first potential project, so I am hoping you guys could give me some help.

I don't have any requirements with the space, but here are my hopes:

1. 2 bedrooms (probably facing bottom (2 windows per). In Kitchen, I would like to have farmhouse style sink overlooking 1 of the windows.

2. I would like 2 bathrooms (1 near bedrooms). I also hope to have office and living room with tv hanged on a wall. Ideally, I would only want walls on bedrooms/bathrooms and keeping the rest open layout.

My biggest concern is that my left wall is 95ft and has 9 windows... I want to utilize it best. There will likely be 2 doors too... The black squares are immovable pillars that support the ceiling...

Thank you in advance and I apologize ahead of the crude drawing.

p.s if the image won;t show, it;s here also https://imgur.com/a/Vf5bqOm

Comments (27)

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hi

the long side overlooks roof on 1st floor and storage building. the short side (bottom) overlooks parking lot and is not obscured by roof/etc, so views are nicer...). I have thought of putting either bedrooms on bottom windows or kitchen. Not sure yet, I will try to upload some ideas later this week, but, for now, looking for initial inspiration too :)

• Related Discussions

Living room dilemma ! DESIGNERS I NEED YOUR HELP

Q

Comments (12)
    Pic #2,,,that wall needs a shallow console and some art. any of these would work. mix and match or tweak them to go w/what you like. even bringing in some warm wood would give the space some depth. As for artwork, get what you like. blues/whites/golds/ teals/ yellows/pinks,,,,are just a few that would work well. The artwork w/the console could also work for over the couch area You could also do this parsons table in an acrylic or a white,,, consider doing some finish wood trim work around both windows. doesn't have to be fancy,,just do some simple straight trim moldingor like this one, below, without the sill,,,and do it in white. can you replace those blinds on the front window and do something like the cellulars or Pirouette shades? this color would be perfect or do the white shade w/some blue panels
    ...See More

Please help me decorate my odd empty space!

Q

Comments (23)
    A safe bet for seating is a 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs. Chairs can be swivels if they need to turn to TV for watching. Don't corner any furniture; it just eats up floor space and makes it look like you don't have room for your stuff when you actually do. Looks like your lighting needs upgrading from builder's basic to beautiful.
    ...See More

Layout design help! Please !! Entry door/“living space”

Q

Comments (3)
    If more pictures are needed please let me know. Or if anyone can share what ap there is to see real furniture in their room that i see people use on here would be greatly appreciated. Any tips are welcomed !!
    ...See More

SOS help me design this weird open space!

Q

Comments (2)
    First get the TV off the FP it is way too high for proper viewing. The TV can go on eihter side of the FP on anice console, put a matching console on the other side with art above it. Take the mirror down . The best is to draw a to scale floor plan of the space show windows, doorways, the FP and also where those stairs come down. Use graph paper mark all measurements clearly,
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Do you know what architects do?

• User
    5 years ago

You just described a tear down and new build. Not a renovation. Hire that architect.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Is this in a building that was not originally build for residential us? I am guessing it is an adaptive reuse of an older building. Am I right?

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

" Do you know what architects do? " I am sure they had an architect but to be honest, it scares to me to think how bad he/she were based on some other designs there.

" You just described a tear down and new build. Not a renovation. Hire that architect. " yes, it's an empty shell. i will probably get one for sure, but before i even move on with the ideas/place, I was hoping for some ideas on layout. right now, I am thinking move to move bedrooms on long wall with first starting around 10-12ft from entrance on top.

"Is this in a building that was not originally build for residential us? I am guessing it is an adaptive reuse of an older building. Am I right? "

correct. an old industrial building that they are re-purposing into condo units, except they are doing it very slowly (some been build out 13 years ago).

• User
    5 years ago

For something like that, in a multi family situation, everything will have much more stringent building requirements. Fire safety and insulation wasn't big in old factories. Plumbing and electrical is really challenging. Historic regulations and exterior appearance that can't be changed is a big player in design. That requires an architect from the beginning. Not as an afterthought. It's not optional either. The plans will need to be stamped. Then it will require a licensed contractor to implement. No DIY.

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

" For something like that, in a multi family situation, everything will have much more stringent building requirements. Fire safety and insulation wasn't big in old factories. Plumbing and electrical is really challenging. Historic regulations and exterior appearance that can't be changed is a big player in design. That requires an architect from the beginning. Not as an afterthought. It's not optional either. The plans will need to be stamped. Then it will require a licensed contractor to implement. No DIY. "

I am aware of all of that. This place is not historical afaik (I know in a historical place now). It's gutted inside stud to stud, so all new insulation inside, fire proof, sprinklers, etc.

the builder already has all the permits for work and board is fine with all of that...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Is the building sprinkled?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Here. Put in the bid and find a good local architect. You may be able to squeeze in a third bedroom or fly tying room.

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks for the design ideas. yes, building has sprinkles already installed throughout

• PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    5 years ago

There are a lot of considerations about the space that are not clear. Is it a multi story building with plumbing chases running thru areas that are not mentioned? Where is the power/water/utilitys coming in? I think you would be smart to hire a professional who understands multi unit buildings to help you get on the right track.

Make a list of your wants and needs, save photos of spaces you like, and come up with a realistic budget.. then double it as its not going to be cheap to build this out.

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

it's 2 stories, this would be 2nd floor. I believe water and poor are running between 1st and 2nd floor. 1st floor is completely undeveloped and may not be for years... I totally understand the need for architect and such, I am also looking for a generic plan ideas for now :)

• smitrovich
    5 years ago

Following.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

See, that is why I recommend contacting a local architect. They can pick up those minute details like, "it's 2 stories".

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Mark, I will.

For now, I was hoping for some layout ideas. All piping will go below the floor and above 1st floor's ceiling, so there are no restrictions, and price will depend on how complicated or how spread it is...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

"so there are no restrictions"

I love projects with unlimited budgets.

Now would be a good time to start talking to local architects

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"

I love projects with unlimited budgets.

Now would be a good time to start talking to local architects"

Not unlimited budgets, but yes, it's nice to potentially have flexibility in some projects.

yes, I will be talking to architects, but again, before I do that, my hope would be to have some idea what kind of basic layout I want.

• PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    5 years ago

Spend the money on the design professional... nothing is free in life. How do you think we make a living?

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

" Spend the money on the design professional... nothing is free in life. How do you think we make a living?"

Considering I said that I will at least several times above, and that my request was pretty specific, I do not see a point of stating the same thing multiple times.

Thank you though.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Where is the stairs?

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

" Where is the stairs? " there are 2 sets, on on top door side, 30ft or so left out and other set on lower door side about 50ft down the corridor.

• User
    5 years ago

No indications of plumbing drain locations.

No indications of electrical service amperage, or location.

No indication of stair location. Or even that it was a two story.

No indication of the internal steel supports and bracing for the masonry walls.

No indication of floor construction or method of hanging from masonry walls.

No indication of infrastructure of any kind.

No indication of general location and climate.

No indication of AHJ regulation, involvement, and oversight.

Not even a decent as built drawing.

Are you are being disingenuous for some unknown reason? Or do you understand so little about construction and design that you are failing to post even the minimal required information for people to rough sketch?

Existing conditions and infrastructure can not be ignored. There is no "blank slate" here. There never is in any remodel. But something like this has many more restrictions on the potential design.

The information required here isn't being shared, and posters are getting bits and pieces like teeth being pulled. That is not how you excite people about your project enough to volunteer thousands of dollars in free work. Most people feel pretty disinclined to keep on pulling teeth. They'll tell you to just go to the darn dentist and pay by the hour.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Do you have to leave your potential unit on the first floor to get to the second floor of your potential unit?

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

" Do you have to leave your potential unit on the first floor to get to the second floor of your potential unit? "

first floor has no units. afaik it's like a 80x200ft space that hasnt been used in 20 years or more. no idea what's there. they will develop all 2nd floor first on that side of the building and then, unknown. extra to 2nd floor in from outside via stairs, the back entrance also has stairs but also loading dock access.

(below answers inline to keep questions separate)

" No indications of plumbing drain locations.

no plumbing is yet installed anywhere, hence why I wanted to have an idea for layout to see what I like or disline, before going to Architect and contractors to specify all that. right now, they are clearing out the area and installing studs to create separate units.

No indications of electrical service amperage, or location.

same as above whatever is there now is old and will be gutten out/rewrited. idea for 200amp circuit.

No indication of stair location. Or even that it was a two story.

stairs nowhere near the unit, one is about 20ft down the corridor and other 50ft or so.

No indication of the internal steel supports and bracing for the masonry walls.

those are specified on picture by black squares. they are columns and support wide/long old growth beams that support roof.

No indication of floor construction or method of hanging from masonry walls.

that, i do not know, but floor is old growth pine.. could be 50+ years old. i seen it refinished in other units in building and even with patching/etc, it looks good.

No indication of infrastructure of any kind.

it's really an empty shell right now.

No indication of general location and climate.

northeast within 80miles of boston.

No indication of AHJ regulation, involvement, and oversight.

I do not know exactly, right now, as I do not yet own the place.

Not even a decent as built drawing.

I do not have anything yet as of now. Plan to update it later when I do.

Are you are being disingenuous for some unknown reason? Or do you understand so little about construction and design that you are failing to post even the minimal required information for people to rough sketch?

Not being disingenuous. I do not have any construction experience. I am not sure what is required as I do not own that space yet. I am trying to have basic layout done in my mind to even have some ideas what I can do and cannot do before I start something that will be harder to unwind.

Existing conditions and infrastructure can not be ignored. There is no "blank slate" here. There never is in any remodel. But something like this has many more restrictions on the potential design.

The information required here isn't being shared, and posters are getting bits and pieces like teeth being pulled. That is not how you excite people about your project enough to volunteer thousands of dollars in free work. Most people feel pretty disinclined to keep on pulling teeth. They'll tell you to just go to the darn dentist and pay by the hour"

please ask me questions that you need to know and if I know, I will share what I can. I do not want to provide location for a simple fact that is very premature as I do not own it and my own privacy, in case I decide to go ahead.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

There is A LOT of information needed to give you proper advice, more than you can give here. Bite the bullet and hire an architect to give you accurate council. It will be worth the investment and you won't waste anybody's time.

• ceasar2k6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A friend mentioned that something maybe confusing. I keep referring to first floor and so on. I want to make it clear. This space is only on 2nd floor. First floor exists but it's not developed and may not be anytime soon and except for plumbing probably be attached from there, it has no other bearing on this space.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!