SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wormgirl

Off-gassing/Cure problems on new wood furniture?

5 years ago

Summary: Could wrapping furniture too soon after finishing disrupt the curing process? Is it possible that my furniture will never cure correctly?

I just bought my first ever "fine furniture" - a bedroom set -- which is manufactured by a company called Greenington. This is the bamboo laminate stuff, so it is an engineered wood -- but they market their furniture as being made with low VOC adhesives and coatings, and passing tests that they don't emit VOCs. This appealed to me, as I'm quite sensitive to odors and chemicals (although I don't have chemical sensitivity, and I'd like to keep it that way!)

So you already know what I'm going to say. The furniture was delivered, and it STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN. I've bought plenty of cheap furniture in my life, but it's never smelled like this. I opened all the windows in my whole apartment (it was a nice day) and briefly left. When I returned, the whole apartment smelled like a furniture factory. I ran out and bought a BlueAir with charcoal filter, added extra baskets of charcoal on top, and this helped it not permeate the whole apartment. Like I said, I'm sensitive to stuff -- but I'm sure anyone would have agreed, this was way over the top.

I woke with a horrible headache the next day. The clothes that I placed in the dresser were permeated with the smell. I removed them, then ran out and bought some containers of "Bad Odor Sponge," an odor neutralizer (and also placed some in a dish inside each drawer). This has made it far more tolerable. But, after 5 nights with the stuff here, my sinuses are irritated and I'm sneezing - but I'm not sick, and I've never had sinus issues in my life.

As an experiment, I just removed the "Bad Odor Sponge" and turned off the air filter and the smell is still obvious. It is much less, but it's clearly still offgassing quite a bit.

So. The manufacturer won't talk directly to me, because they don't sell directly to the public. I have of course reported all this to the store (who naturally totally underplayed my issues to the manufacturer). The manufacturer's response?

"We’ve been in a big rush to get our shipments, and sometimes the product is packaged to soon after it has been finished, not giving enough time for the finish to air out. It is due to packaging too soon after spraying but it will dissipate after time...best to put in a garage and left a few days. We had a couple pieces in the warehouse and they were fine after 2-4 days."

What? Fine time to tell me! Also, I am a single woman living in a one bedroom apartment... And that dresser may as well be a granite slab. They went on to brag that their furniture is low VOC and passes all sorts of tests, which clearly, my individual pieces would not have passed.

I know that furniture curing is a tricky thing and can sometimes go wrong. So my question is this: could wrapping furniture too soon after finishing disrupt the curing process? Is it possible that my furniture will never cure correctly?

My worry, of course, is that the furniture will sicken me and I will have to get rid of it eventually. If that's going to be the case, I should just return it now while I can.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Jenn aka wormgirl

Comments (8)