SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Plastic pie keepers off-gassing?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My mother was given two new pie plates and two plastic pie keepers for Christmas. She used them for the first time to bring fruit pies to my New Year's Day family dinner. I didn't have a piece of pie with dinner, but she always leaves me the leftovers (nothing is better for breakfast the day after!). Late in the evening I had a small sliver of each kind, apple and cherry--or tried to have a small sliver. Both pies tasted soapy, chemical-ish--like scented hand lotion. It seemed to be in the crust.

The next day I had my DD try another piece to verify that the taste was off. She immediately spat out the bite, and said it was very bitter and soapy tasting. I tried the same piece of pie crust, and it was worse than the night before, after sitting all night in the containers. My BIL had pie at dinner, so I called to ask if he'd noticed anything amiss, and he said that the pie tasted fine. He bakes cherry pies (his mother's recipe), so I trust his judgement.

My mother had made the same varieties for Christmas dinner, and they were delicious, as usual. I called to ask if she'd done anything different with the second pies, and she assured me that all the ingredients were the same--the same can of shortening, same bag of flour. She had washed the new plates and keepers, and thrown away the labels, but she thought they'd come from Marshalls. There are no identifying marks, but one had been personalized with, 'From the kitchen of ________'.

Has anyone heard about problems with plastic food containers off-gassing and tainting food? We aren't going to eat the leftover pie, of course, even if we could stomach the taste. :P

Comments (21)