SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_819079117

Advice about an endless kitchen reno, negotiation, & Crystal Cabinets

cobblestone
5 years ago

Hi, folks. I desperately need some help with a long, painful kitchen renovation... Specifically, a Crystal Cabinets order and installation that I just can't seem to get through. Back in spring of 2017, we paid to have a custom color mixed. I was trying really hard to get a pickled wood look, and Crystal Cabinets seemed like the best option for non-toxic woods and finishes. After paying to have numerous samples made, we finally settled on a whitewashed maple. It would be incredibly expensive -- $45k for the cabinets, not including installation!! But for reasons I can hardly remember at this point, we decided it would be great.

The initial cabinets had lots of problems (damaged or defective pieces, missing pieces, etc) and the installation didn't go well (further damaged some of the cabinets). The contractor (a certified Crystal installer) said not to worry, as if it is par for the course, they would just reorder what was needed. But then the reorders were even worse (pieces that didn't fit together at all and others that are totally mismatched in color). THREE installations later, the pieces finally fit but the color is totally mismatched. One half is mostly white and one half is mostly--but not entirely--pinkish white. Photos of the mismatch are attached. It took three installation jobs, each of which put us out for a week (empty out kitchen, cover adjacent rooms, etc, while living there). Also, we couldn't get all the countertops installed. And this has been going on for a year and a half now.

Since the third try--back in fall 2018, we have been waiting to hear from Crystal (despite countless phonecalls and emails--where they tend to say they are busy, so and so is sick or on vacation, they need to discuss it, etc, etc. for months on end), trying to seek resolution. We are getting no where. They put us off for all these months, and now they are saying, let's try again. This is where I need some advice.

After three tries and a year and a half, I have not confidence that they can make it right. Plus, every time they have to (re)install, our family has to turn our lives upside down (moving everything out of the kitchen, covering everything in the adjacent rooms, living kitchen-free and with contractors again for a week or more). I don't think I can deal with that a fourth time in 16 months! But I also think it is absurd to accept that $45k worth of kitchen cabinets would be, effectively, a bunch of seconds/manufacturer defect pieces. So this is what I proposed to Crystal: Let's do what seems most doable--at least try to get each SIDE uniform. Only a handful of pieces would have to be remade (no whole cabinets; just doors and panels) for them to make the L side a uniform white and make the other side a uniform pink. That is definitely the least labor-intensive way to approach it. Otherwise, it means ripping out the whole thing and starting from scratch (at least on one whole side). BUT, I also then want a discount on the pink side--as it is not what I ordered.

Does that seem unreasonable? I'm asking them to make it at least uniform on each half of the kitchen--which would involve the least amount of remaking and reinstalling at this juncture--and then to offer me a discount on the "incorrect" side. This is often what contractors do, isn't it? Fix a mistake as best you can, and then offer a discount if the "fix" doesn't actually make it "right" or the goods are damaged.

Crystal says they won't offer a discount at this time. They just want to either redo the whole thing or do what I'm asking (half pink and half white) and then we can discuss a discount after all is completely done (which I have little faith in... what motivation would they have to offer any discount at that point?
Who's to say they won't just say, okay, here's $1000 for your trouble?) I just can't wrap my head around the idea that I would pay $45K for cabinets that aren't at least good (nevermind perfect!)... But how many times should they keep ripping it out and redoing it? The waste is outrageous. The time and energy and inconvenience is, too...

I would really, really love some advice.

Thank you!!

It's harder to see the contrast in a photo than by eye in daylight, but I think you can still see it here... In the top pic, the lower panels are white white, and the top shelves are pink white. In the lower picture, there are three panels, and the one on the bottom right is white white and the other two are pink white (and an uneven stain job at that!)...

Comments (21)