SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pthappy6

Plan for 2 Story Family Room Starting from scratch and appreciate help

pthappy6
5 years ago

Hello wonderful gardenweb folks, I am a long time lurker and finally have a the courage to ask for help! We are original owners of our 18 year old house. We renovated the first floor kitchen, half bath and laundry room 5 years ago (when I was on gardenweb constantly, picture of kitchen included below). Now I'm ready to tackle the family room. There are so many issues that I am having a hard time getting started:

*need to change the flooring (I want hardwood, hubby wants carpet)

*need to update the fireplace (which we never use)

*need all new furniture

*would love to address the "openness" feeling of the room, find a way to make it more intimate but I have no idea how. (It is open to the upstairs where there is a railing.)

Due to budget constraints, it might take me a few years to buy everything (especially furniture). But I want to come up with a plan and slowly implement that plan.

Just looking at the pictures of the family room makes me cringe. This space is in desperate need of a renovation! There are 6 of us in my family and so I want there to be enough furniture for everyone to watch a movie together. I keep going back and forth between a large U-shaped sectional and a smaller L-shaped sectional with a comfy chair and ottoman next to it. Other ideas??

I like the pottery barn type look, the Stonegable blog (more transitional), and maybe just a small touch of modern like chrislovesjulia (there are definitely things I like in their renovations). Our 4 kids are 13-21 and I want our house to be homey and welcoming.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)