Houzz Logo Print
webuser_24822377

Scandinavian cottage + French country + Bohemian beach

Isis
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello!

We bought an old home (200-400 years old,

we are still trying to find out) in the country side (Portugal). The main house is almost finished so it's time to buy the decor.

I don't like to label my style but it is easy to have a name when I'm looking for inspiration. I keep come back to these 3 styles.

- Scandinavian cottage: I like the simplicity, white color as base, wood, use of natural light, home felling.

- French country: no traditional kitchen without upper cabinet, wood table as kitchen island, tiles.

- Bohemian beach: I was born and raised on the beach so I love to decorate with turquoise, blue and green and natural materials. Also I love the freedom of mismatch of the bohemian style.

Can you give some tips of how to decorate my new home with these 3 styles? Am I the only one to think like this? Crazy? ;)

Here are some pics:

Comments (234)

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What a great support Lizziesma, thank you! I started to organize the pics and to write some. It's going to be something simple like our lives here.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following..... :-)

• Related Discussions

Design Around This #13: French Country

Q

Comments (102)
    Thanks for the encouragement! Sochi, I think you're right, that is the quintessential french light fixture isn't it? I tried to mix it up a little with the different pendants over the island, but I do really like the shape of that chandelier. I'm really looking forward to the rustic modern. A lot of the homes close the ski resorts near my home would really do well with rustic modern interiors. I can't wait to see the great ideas.
    ...See More

Here is a No Color Seaside Cottage for Mtnrdredux

Q

Comments (26)
    Oh thank you, KSWL, SunnyCottage et al, for thinking of me! That's so sweet. (And to camininc --- pinky aloft --- no, no tea with the queen this season. Hot chocolate in Deer Valley with the kids) KSWL, You are right, this is just my thing. Love it. And the setting! Oh and the name! Mousehole. The English are so much better at naming then the McMansion Development folk; they have that downmarket irony thing perfected in England. Too bad we still don't own "our" beachhouse. After several attempts at playing armchair architect, I took everyone's advice and concentrated on the even "funner" stuff, soft goods, colors, photos of things I liked etc. But for a while now I have stopped playing "beachhouse" at all. I am beyond frustrated with the sellers about resolving the access issue (our driveway is not all on our land). I can't imagine why this hasn't been resolved when we went under contract at Thxgiving! Of course DH points out that it took 6 years for them to subdivide the property... We are considering another possibility but we need clarification on how close to the ocean we can build on that one... Frustrating.
    ...See More

3 Cabinet Colors, Country French--Thoughts & Pics Please

Q

Comments (9)
    Your builder will probably say no because he's a builder working with stock, and is afraid if you don't like it you'll claim he damaged your perfectly good brand new cabinets. But any carpenter, handy fiance, or even the guy doing your trimwork should be able to take it out easily and sand the edge. But really, you could just remove the door altogether and get the same effect. The builder doesn't even have to know!!! (shhhhh...!) Also, there are tons of people in blogland who remove doors and drawers and replace with baskets. One example to help you: go to "The Lettered Cottage" blog and in the search box type buffet table and see one of millions of tutorials on this kind of thing. Layla (at the Lettered Cottage) does cottage-y country and beach cottage looks but it could translate pretty easily into French Country with different fabrics.
    ...See More

Country Cottage Style

Q

Comments (8)
    That's a clean, cozy kitchen. I've seen in recent decor mags, that Aga has a purple stove. Oh, be still my heart. lol I would love to have one. I, too love cottage decor. I lean toward a southern France or Tuscany cottage look. I like to pretend I live on a little stone cottage in the middle of a vineyard in Tuscany. I'm slowly shifting all my decor toward that end. One of the things I love about cottage is painted furniture. Lately, I've been obsessed with painted wood. lol My husband is not a painted wood fella. Sigh. I love beach cottage decor, too. Even though I live a land-locked life. No photos at the moment for you and no time to look...I'm supposed to be finishing a brochure for a deadline tomorrow. ;0)
    ...See More
  • Marsha Lorentzen
    4 years ago

following

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

I love Houzz filters! OK, here is the comment Houzz deleted because it mentions a blogger who is critical of Houzz.

The Blogger's first name starts out with the letter L A U R then it ends with the Spanish article E L. Her last name starts with the second letter of the alphabet and ends in ERN, making the name of a German speaking city in Switzerland.

Google her name, plus, blogger guide for one post, and then her name, plus best post you will read.

Here is my comment with her name redacted:

Oooh, I missed a lot of great pictures. I love the idea of starting a blog. It's important to have your content on a platform you have a bit more control over. She Who Cannot Be Named sells a guide for blogging. There are many, many things to factor in getting a blog off the ground and SWCBN worked with a great team to get hers to where it is today.

I realize the guide is not cheap, and you may not be in the market for such a thing, but reading her posts on the subject may give you some ideas of things to consider.

Keep us posted about this. I would love to see a blog from you. Have you ever shared your IG with us? If you would that would be fab :-)

Tartan, what do you blog about? I would read a Tartan blog!

Isis thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

My blog is no longer active and wasn't decor related. It wasn't monetized either so I've no clue how to go about doing that. Rita's shared a great resource for learning that. It can be a very fun creative endeavour.

• justcallmepool
    4 years ago

Rita, I cannot believe your comment was removed! wth!

And I probably would have never looked the other blog up if your comment had just stayed but now I'm all in on it and Houzz can suck it lol

• justcallmepool
    4 years ago

Also, I may just drop her name here and there now on all the threads I comment on and see what happens.

#pettyasshit

#impettyandiknowit

Isis thanked justcallmepool
  • pink_peony
    4 years ago

Really? This is why I am mute when it comes to my job, instagram or sharing pictures here related to clients and business projects. Its just too unpredictable. I know a designer who told me to post my instagram on here to gain followers because HE DID and gained a ton. Then Someone else told me I'd get removed if I did that. It would be a lot more clear as to what was allowed and wasn't if they would stay consistent.

• User
    4 years ago

L*A*U*R*E*L B*E*R*N if anyone's interested...(Filter Evasion. It's a pretty fun game:))

4 years ago

pink, could you please post a link to your IG. I post links to IGs all the time- no harm in that.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Rita I'm skeered........I work for someone. Don't want to mess it up for her. maybe I will be vague and say it has the word Design in it and the word Interior in it and the word South in it . Maybe thats even the order they are in. https://www.instagram.com/designinteriorsouth/

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I have posted articles by L B before. I receive emails from her blog. I think she is brilliant and has great interior design advice. I didn’t know she was negative about Houzz. But as I said, I have had no problems whenever I have posted an article of hers or mentioned her name before. :/

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rita,

I posted in this thread a link about her blog on unkitchen. It was on June 2nd, can you see it? I still can see it here. And I wrote about other stuff and put pictures as well. No one commented about it but I thought it was normal. Maybe it's not visible?

Thank you for the tip, I already started to read her articles. My hubby now wants me to do a vlog on YouTube lol, he said he would edit for me. Ho boy, I have to think about it. In a way writing and pictures seem more safe?

I loved the conversatio, keep coming!

My IG isn't professional, I just started to put pics about the house now. It was mostly food and yoga related but it's changing. Its isisbreal if anyone wants to see it.

4 years ago

Isis, I didn't see the link to the IG on June 2 posts. What I did see, you posted a link to a thread from L B and her name is right in the link, but you do not mention her in the body of the comment. I will check and see how that works for me.

Tartan, could you check and see if you find the IG ref on June 2? Maybe I missed it?

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rita,

sorry, I didn't put my IG information on June 2. Only the link about L B. I told about my IG for the first time in my last comment 20 minutes ago.

edit: I am pretty sure that I wrote her name on the post as well maybe they deleted :/

4 years ago

Maybe it's just me who isn't allowed to mention that person's name? I just tried posting links to posts, just like Isis did on June 2 in re a French kitchen, and they are not here. That is really curious. I have never even posted about the L B take down of this site.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I see the link to L B's blog post Isis shared on June 2 in this thread. Full name is mentioned as well. Weird. Don't know how the filter is triggered.

4 years ago

Sorry, I misunderstood you, Isis. And I feel like a doofus for missing the LB name on June 2. I really hate dealing with this website on my phone.

• User
    4 years ago

Isis, for me, I like vlogs (oddly, I enjoy CrazyBagLady...she's from my home country and I find how crazy she is about bags to be both annoying and utterly cute, if that makes any sense...)

But I do enjoy a blog most of all. I don't obsess about them, but I think it's fun to read and see pictures about the lives of others. Also, the things that they may find rather mundane, is fascinating to someone who doesn't live there...so you may find photos of the colors of houses to be an odd thing to show, but I love it...

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rita, no problem. It's confusing for me too here.

Penny, I love the mundane things too! I will check out this vlog. I think it's better if I start with a normal blog and maybe I could try vlog later.

I have some new followers already, thank you guys! @isisbreal. ;)

4 years ago

I am not on IG, so I could not subscribe. But I looked at your beautiful pictures and excellent story telling. Have you considered writing your captions in both English and Portuguese? That could help increase your audience.

PS I mention this not because Portuguese speakers don't read English, but because there is a warmth and a specialness to reading in your own language, especially for expats or immigrants. There are many Brazilians in Norther California, obviously their English is great, but your mother tongue holds a particular sweetness.

PPS Love your dog!!

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I used to write in Portuguese but I got no audience at all, just friends and family. When a switched to English more people stopped by and were interested. I don't want to paint all Brazilian in the same brush but I realized the mostly Brazilian girls/women prefer IG about make up and fashion and that's not my focus.

But I understand your point, I will write again in both and see what happens. To tell you the truth I have no idea what I'm doing. I post on IG what I found pretty or interesting, I don't have a plan. Now with the blog, I'm not coming with big expectations, if I can get some people from this thread and family and friends To read... That's great!

I was very invested on IG once and it was going great but then we bought the house and I had to stop because I didn't have a kitchen or other places to take the pictures and my focus was on finishing the house and making it more livable.

PS: thanks, my dog is so special ;) I'm totally in love with him!!

• User
    4 years ago

I wish I could see it...I couldn't even get to the page (I don't have an account, either).

But the instagram accounts I've been able to peek at seem to be exactly what you describe, Isis. Just some bits and pieces of things you find interesting...like a scrapbook. No timeline or organization.

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

I would follow but I don't do IG :(

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I also don’t do IG and have never even looked so unfortunately can’t follow. But to me the blog would appeal to English speakers particularly ones that would like to live in Portugal.

When I lived in France there were many books, popular TV shows, blogs of Brits moving there. These really started just after we bought there. Their stories of renovations and life afterwards was of great interest but really only to English people or speakers that wanted to live a dream. It really was of no interest to the French or French speakers.

Having said that, not sure if many Brazilians have the same dream of moving to a more simple beautiful life in rural Portugal. But ISIS maybe you could start a dream there. :)

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I see IG isn't very popular here lol. Im writing the blog posts in English right now, but maybe I could write in both languages. That's a lot of work but I will think about. We were planning on buying a camera for our business so I'm going to wait until the camera is here to start The blog. It's good so I have some time to write. I want to do something simple but well done you know?

For now I will keep on IG and Pinterest, Its the same name for both. And of course on houzz but I don't have many updates right now.

If you know about other blogs for food/simple life/countryside renovation.... Please let me know!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I just tried to look up your blog on Pinterest and couldn’t find it. It is isisbreal?

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wmsimons85,

It's very strange, I can't find my profile if I put on Pinterest research. I thought it was only with me because I'm logged. I was able to find my profile on Google when I wrote: Isisbreal Barreto Pinterest on Google.

Hete is the link: https://www.pinterest.pt/isisbreal/

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A screenshot here

• User
    4 years ago

Isis, I got to your instagram page from your pinterest page. I'm telling you straight, (I am always, ALWAYS honest, so you can believe me) you have a real talent....the whole thing is perfect...the lighting, the arrangement of food, the tablescapes....

Those blogs (and books, and magazines) that I have read and seen probably take many hours and many people to get the exact look that you seem to be able to create without effort. I mean, it's entirely possible that you and your husband DO spend hours moving a candle an inch to the left, or adding one extra tomato to a bowlful, or adjusting lighting etc. before taking a picture....but I don't think you do...

You just really have an eye for composition, whether deliberate or simply innate. And your husband can really capture a moment with his camera...

Honestly, forget the blog. You could take the express road to a book!

And I tell you again, I do not complement unless I mean it. This is an honest assessment (admittedly from a nobody who spends too much time online :)).

Isis thanked User
  • wmsimons85
    4 years ago

It says page doesn’t exist when I clicked on read but was able to leave a comment on Pinterest. Will be interesting to watch where this goes. :)

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Can I ask if your name is Isis?

• User
    4 years ago

wmsimons, about half way down Isis' pinterest page is a section called Isis ______on instagram...if you "open" that post, then "open" that window, there's a little link on the bottom that says "visit". Clicking on that takes you to her instragram...

(I feel like I might be bordering on being a creepy stalker fan at this point...I promise I'm perfectly normal)

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pennydesigh,

Wow, thank you very much. I'm doing a screenshot of your comment :)

You are right, I don't spend hours moving stuff, who has the time? lol, it's more organic and I try to find beauty in my everyday life. I would love to be able to put my ideas in a book but I don't even know where to start with this. I never thought a online forum could inspired me so much. You guys are really giving me the courage to try something new that I was too shy before (the blog, book now?)

You are a somebody who gave me much confidence now, thank you again.

wsimons85,

Yes, Isis is my real name. Isis Barreto, but people already used this name on IG, that's why I chose isisbreal.

edit: I just saw your other comment, I don't know why Pinterest isn't showing my page. Its not cool. I have this account for many years.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Haha Pennydesign. Somehow didn’t take you as a stalker. :). Thank you for that but for some reason it doesn’t work for me. Im on an iPad and that doesn’t show for me. Was able to leave a comment though with the photo of Isis standing over her island but it’s on Pinterest.

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pennydesigh,

I don't know why but since yesterday your posts only appear to me many hours later. Yesterday was 5 hours later and today was 17 hours. Thats why I'm not responding some of your posts.

edit: this is happening with other people as well, like wmsimons85.

• Isis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wmsimons85,

I just checked my Pinterest and there are no comments. I search about this issue on Google and it seems Pinterest only shows popular pins. The easy answer: Because my pins and profile are not popular, they are not showing :(

• User
    4 years ago

Don't worry about it, Isis...those of us who are regulars here, know AAAALLLLL about the glitches :(

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Isis Pennydesign is right unfortunately Houzz is having some issues at the moment for everyone it seems. I see the comment on Pinterest. I go to the link you posted then click on your blog. Then your four photos appear. If you click on the photo of you at your island then you will see “1 comment”. If you click on it you will see the comment. At least this is the case on my iPad.

• User
    4 years ago

Maybe this direct link will help (if that's okay) since I don't see one if Isis put one here before...but then again, disappearing posts :(

https://www.instagram.com/isisbreal/

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Thank you Pennydesign, that worked! :)

• Isis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update!

Hello! I hope everyone is safe in this crazy times that we are living. I wanted to give an update in what's been happening in our home since last year. I hate when people vanish ;)

After a few months we got the permission from the city hall to open another window in the livingroom, after that we put our money and focus on the outside. We build a garage, a wall (fence) around our backyard and renovated the front of the house + we finished the gas system in the kitchen and painted the walls and ceiling of almost the whole house but then winter came and we had to stop. This went from October until March, we had to stop a few weeks here and there when it was raining but in the end was great.

Quarantine came and we stopped all our plans and we just focused on being save and no spending money. In August I started again with plans for decoration, I bought the first painting for the house, we already put some instruments on the walls, we made a new island, new wood counter in the kitchen and we just finished a diy chandelier idea that I had from looking on Instagram. It's from a cork tree that a friend gave us.

I will post some pictures that I have now and I promise to post more this week. I'm working a lot and have to find the time to take pretty pictures 😉

I hope I can post the pictures in this post now because this site isn't working so well with me.

Take care xx

The wall

Counter

Island

• Isis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Light fixture from a cork tree

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Lovely progress, Isis! Thank you so much for sharing. The light fixture is so whimsical and your counter is gorgeous. Everything is looking great! Best wishes for continued good luck with your progress and stay safe. :)

• shwshw
    3 years ago

I just saw this dilemma for the first time. What a wonderful project. I love your style.

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

So happy to see your progress Isis. This was a wonderful dilemma and project. Love the wood island and counter. And that light fixture is so creative! Can't wait to see more.

Isis thanked Dawn Martinez
  • Isis
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Another little update!

Hello everyone, I wrote a whole text and the site didn't post :(

Anyway finally here are the before and after pictures of the living room. The before pictures were a little difficult to take because there were 2 walls. Luckily I got a new camera and the after pictures are very clear.

I don't have much decorations, just one frame I'm hoping to put things slowly. The cabinet near the window has no door (the door is next to it ) because there is something wrong with it. We talked with the local carpenter and he will fix it.

We also ordered a wood beam to cover the iron beam on the ceiling. He said it will be ready next week, fingers crossed.

We also ordered other things for the kitchen but I will post when they arrive. (I'm hoping before Christmas)

Ps: the light fixture is a little low in my opinion, we have to buy another black thing on top (I don't know the name) before moving.

Take care and stay safe 🙏

• Isis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One side:

I can not post the text and the pics together!

• Isis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Other side:

• daki
    3 years ago

Looks very cozy, airy and welcoming. I’ve really enjoyed seeing your updates over time :).

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH