SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sprague64

Miele T1 Dryer Reviews

Suzanne
5 years ago

Thinking about purchasing the Miele T1 Dryer. We have the space and setup for a conventional washer/dryer but are intrigued with the energy efficient and gentleness of the Miele. There is only 2 of us so not worried about the size. Questions for anyone who has this dryer.

How are drying times? Does is compare to a standard dryer.

Thanks in advance

Comments (92)

• littlegreeny
    9 months ago

@looyah You must use the bed linens cycle for any sheets/blankets. The dryer will reverse tumble more often to prevent tangling. Have you tried increaing the dryness level? Laundry is always slighty damp out of a heat pump dryer but will be fully dry within a few minutes of removing.

• luna123456
    9 months ago

I sometimes wonder if the problems that are experienced are simply due to a lack of reading the manual and then following the instructions?

• Related Discussions

Miele T1 (Heat Pump) Dryer Questions

Q

Comments (11)
    On the Little Giant condenser, you can enter supervisor level and there are 1000s of options, LOL. I have purposely set the moisture level to leave a tiny bit of residual moisture, since this is best for fabrics and is how most Europeans do laundry. But, besides some socks and underwear that are a cotton/bamboo blend, almost everything comes out perfectly dry, smooth and wrinkle free. A very strange occurrence with condenser dryers....when you open the door at the cycle end, and you remove laundry, items still feel kind of moist. By the time you fold them or hang them...they are dry. It is an odd moist to touch sensation that goes away very quickly!
    ...See More

Miele W1 Washer T1 Dryer

Q

Comments (1)
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/miele-w1-t1-washer-and-dreyr-dsvw-vd~5434365
    ...See More

Anyone have the Miele W1 and T1 washer/dryer?

Q

Comments (3)
    there is a long thread on her ethat you can look at i do have one and like it. To answer your questions the washer drum isze is ok for us - you can put alot in there. The dryer cannot be overloaded or the clothes will wrinkle. Also, the clothes will feel slightly "damp" when first pulled out. In a minute or two in the air the mysteriously dry. You should tak ethem out when they are done to minimize wrinkles the heat pump really doesnt add an heat to the room drying times are reasonable. i dont think they are actually any longer than others dryers - maybe a few minutes i am 6'6" and dont mind the reach into the drum
    ...See More

Bought a Miele W1 & T1 today, have two questions...

Q

Comments (95)
    @John The Home Depot Design Center's installers are not certified, though they plan to be soon. The woman I spoke to on the phone told me they were, but, when I went in and spoke to the manager I bought from, he said they weren't and there was confusion about that because they had been certified until certain changes to the corporate structure at HDDC were finished and now they need to reapply, or something like that. So I knew they weren't certified, but thought they were as good as certified. That's why I got the five year extended warranty (because the lack of the Miele-certified installers meant that Miele would not double my warranty through them to 2 years (which they do when Miele-certified installers are used. And, yes, I think what you say about third-party installers might be correct. I know that HDDC has their own installers, which they tout, and I was impressed by that (but not so much now). The second set of installers they sent with the replacement machines were very good.
    ...See More
  • HU-675300483
    9 months ago

For all those with "clean plinth" frustrations: don't despair. I was once one of you! The solution is quite simple and can't be found in the manual unfortunately. Go to settings on your machine and change the appropriate cleaning cycle setting from "normal" to one setting lower. Then make sure you have an extra plinth filter that you put in as soon as you get the message, while you clean and let dry (to 100%) the dirty one. I have changed the setting about 4 months ago and have only had 1 message to clean the plinth since instead of after every 4th use! Good luck!

• windsorwest
    8 months ago

I would NOT change the plinth settings like that. A dryer works by removing moisture. By doing this, it is only working harder as the filter will be dirtier, further restricting air flow. We clean our regularly and have never received a message.

• luna123456
    8 months ago

It depends on the the type of clothes and how much and how fine of lintnis generated. There is no problem moving the sensitivity to low. The only downside is slightly longer cycles when the plinth filter has more accumulated lint. It will not cause any harm to the dryer.

Miele put the setting there for a reason. Some prefer to save more energy and clean the filter more frequently. Others prefer fewer cleanings.

• littlegreeny
    8 months ago

Somewhat related comment...A few weeks ago my T1 stopped, alerted me via the app, sounded an alarm and displayed a fault message to clean the filters while I was drying a new set of sheets that must have been too linty. This never happened to me before. I thought it was very interesting.

• HU-675300483
    8 months ago

@windsorwest; I did and still do clean mine regularly, with vacuum and moist cloth, including the filter on the right bottom corner. I replace the used clean plinth with a clean one every week, then clean the used one to put in again a week later. I have done this from the beginning and would still get the message every 4th-6th load... to me, that made no sense. With the lower setting, the plinths are clean, there is no accumulation of lint and no more annoying alerts and stops midway through the cycle.

• HU-133093109
    8 months ago

Köp inte värmepumpstorktumlare Miele T1 - den är dyr och ger väldigt mycket ludd från textilier. Hade tidigare Miele kondenstorktumlare och den var mycket bättre och skonsammare och snabbare.

• gvujeva18
    8 months ago

I have the Miele T1 dryer (condenser) and washer. I am extremely disappointed with the dryer that takes forever to dry, no matter what setting and everything comes out wrinkled, especially cotton sheets. if you have King size sheets prepare for very lomg dry time & full ironing required. My old Miele machines were so much better. The pod system they have also clogged up and technician said it is no longer usable because I didn’t continue using them constantly. they were overly scented & dispensed too much detergent. i wanted to use laundry soda that was less toxic. So now have very expensive machines that have to wash so many more small loads to wash & dry clothes. Imagine how long drying takes in cold weather country, dryin all over house due to very poor drying ability…clothes are always damp causing smell if they are not dried several times and not put in drawers.

Don’t buy the T1

• delray33483
    8 months ago

have you read the manual? I am guessing that you havent read the manual .

you can't jam the T1 dryer full as it needs airflow to tumble the clothes . There is a setting on the machine for bed linens under Other Programs (upper models)

I have an 18 year old Miele 1215 with dryer that works great . I would say they are about the same

• HU-133093109
    8 months ago

I have the same experience and am disappointed . Expensive to buy and very insuffient. Had a conventional machine before.

• Elizabeth Cohen
    5 months ago

We purchased a miele washer and dryer about a month ago and love it so far. The last two times I’ve cleaned the plinth filter, I noticed that it’s a little damp, especially around the edges. Has anyone else experienced this?

• littlegreeny
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Congratulations! I personally have not noticed that on my filter but I keep my dryer door cracked an inch or two just like the washer so everything dries out between cycles. There is an evaporator coil directly behind that filter that may be moist after the cycle is complete. That's where the moisture from your laundry condenses and is drained away during the cycle.

• recordaras
    5 months ago

We recently replaced our Miele T8023C condenser dryer with the TXI680WP heat pump dryer. In all fairness I don’t believe the condenser ever worked 100% properly (had Miele service come out in the first year, but they weren’t able to diagnose the issue, then had major problems and repairs a few weeks before the extended warranty ran out, then more issues about 4 years after that at which point we decided to replace), but I am really impressed with the heat pump so far. Apart from the annoying sheets balling up issue every single cycle has been faster than with the condenser, clothes are coming out softer and smoother and I love the increased functionality (ie being able to set the time for extended dry and air dry). I’m also finding cleaning the plinth filter much easier and less messy than rinsing out the condenser unit. I dry pretty much everything on Gentle and will usually add a 20-30 minuted timed dry Gentle cycle at the end to deal with the residual moisture issue.

The sheets balling up is a big one though - has anyone found a cycle that helps prevent this? I’ve tried Wrinkle Free and Bed Linens so far with identical poor results, will be trying Table Linens/Drapes next.

• littlegreeny
    5 months ago

Use the bed linen cycle for sheets. It reverse tumbles more often than other cycles.

• recordaras
    5 months ago

Thanks! Did that (Bed Linens) for the first bed sheets load and ended up with a giant cocoon. I’ll give it another try. I used Wrinkle Free for pretty much everything on my old condenser and sheets were never an issue, so I was surprised the dedicated setting on the new machine wouldn’t perform as well.

• luna123456
    5 months ago

It is somewhat dependant on the ”type” of bedsheet. Flannel almost never does that for me. Fitted sheets always do it. Sheer or smooth fabrics are hit and miss. Just set it on extra dry for those clothes and let it go. As oong as the sheets are all the same material that usually works for us.

The hard part about answering is that many people have sheets made of different materials. 100% cotton, Polyester, mix, flannel, sheer, etc. We have the best luck with high quality cottons.

• recordaras
    5 months ago

Thank you! Our sheets are mid range 100% cotton sateen for the most part, with a load consisting of one Queen fitted sheet, one flat sheet and a few pillow cases. If this continues I’ll have to start drying the fitted sheet separately.

• littlegreeny
    5 months ago

I found my sheets were far too wrinkled if dryed all together. I dry mine separate and have the dryness turned down so they come out pretty damp and then finish them by air drying.

• Lannie
    4 months ago

I’ve had Miele appliances for over 30 years and until recently, no issues. But things have clearly changed at Miele. After only ten months, our new TXI680WP heatpump dryer stopped drying clothes. It ran for hours, but we were left with very damp clothes. Four visits from the Miele-certified repair company and still NO JOY. Customer Service shunted my complaint to Quality Assurance Department which after ten days has not even contacted me. No working dryer for eight weeks. I’ve filed consumer complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and the Maryland Office of Attorney General. Look at Miele’s website (website (see https://www.miele.com/en/com/good-reasons-for-choosing-miele-2096.htm). "Miele customers enjoy preferential treatment: Thanks to our fast and efficient after-sales service operation which has been voted best in its branch of industry many times over. Even if you need personalised instructions on appliance use or professional cleaning of your appliances, Miele will gladly make a home visit. We will always be there for you. That's a promise!" What a misleading statement and a false inducement to buy Miele’s products.

• luna123456
    4 months ago

If its running for hours and hours and not getting hot then there is most likely a refrigerant leak. many independent appliance repair companies go not have the equipment to work on refrigeration units (that is essentially what a heat pump is.)

One of the few downsides to a heat pump dryer. The upside is that testing this is very easy with the proper gauges. If its low on refrigerant any ac technician can recharge it. Finding a leak will be the more important issue.

My guess is Miele will replace the dryer in the case of a refrigerant leak. There is a clause in the extended warranty that three attempts to fix the same issue gets you a new appliance. just have to push for it and document each service ticket with the ticket number (email it to yourself so you have it handy)

• Lannie
    4 months ago

Thanks for your response. Interesting diagnosis. No error codes and the repair technician's computer diagnostic equipment showed no malfunctions. Assume a loss of refrigerant would show up. I'll raise it. You are correct about replacement of the under-warranty machine. Miele customer service made that recommendation to its Quality Assurance team, which has still not reached out to me in over 13 days. Miele is foot dragging.

• Lannie
    4 months ago

Not long after I posted the above I received a call from Miele’s Quality Assurance Dept. I have been assured that a replacement unit is being shipped to an appliance sales/installation company later this week. Not sure what sparked Miele to act— the two government complaints I filed, the social media posts, indignant letter to the VP of customer service or the intervention of my trusted appliance dealer.

• luna123456
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Complaints really need to go to marketing in Germany. Miele USA management sucks. They transitioned all residential phone support to an asian call center. The USA branch of Miele has its own management. THEY are the ones causing this poor service.

Complaints need to go to Germany. They are the only ones who will make changes. USA management doesn't care anymore.

The commercial/professional side is still handled by Miele directly. Call Princeton and choose commerical from the phone menu. An American will answer and be very knowledgable. Then they will politely tell you they can’t help with residential.

Outside of places like Yale appliance, that has their own service team, almost all retailers who sell Miele know little to nothing about them and have zero pull with Miele. Yale does service so they may have more pull.

Using the terms in the extended warranty is what pushes them. The warranty is actually from an insurance company. You can file a claim with them due to Miele’s inaction. THIS is what makes them move faster.

You will find most appliance repair techs are not all that smart. They hate Miele because it is more complex technology.

Parts availability is somewhat of a canard as anyone can call and order parts. All of the parts are available online via Miele's repair parts website. Yes, it may take a while longer to get them. Part of the time delay to get a technican to your home is that most independant repair shops only come to a specific community one day a week or even every other week. That adds a delay of two weeks to a month. Miele can’t control that.

If you live in an area where Miele has their own in house techs then it is USUALLY faster.

When a compressor loses refrigerant it will run and run and not produce any heat/cool. Think of a car that has a leak in the AC system. No cold air. Same process here, just that we’re using the heat and the cool side of the refrigerant coils to do usable work.

The only sensor for refrigerant i would bet would be a high side pressure sensor to shut off the compressor if the pressure gets too high. There usually isn't anything for low pressure. Most cars don’t set a check engine light when the refrigerant is low or empty either.

• Lannie
    4 months ago

Wow. You really know your heat pump dryer technology. Thanks so much.

• luna123456
    4 months ago

Its just basic refrigeration. Anything with a compressor and refrigerant loop works the same way (Freezer, Refrigerator, Heat Pump, Car air conditioning). It all works the same way. Its just creative placement of the ”hot” and ”cold” coils.

• Lannie
    3 months ago

Update to the Miele heat pump dryer saga: The replacement dryer has been at All State Appliances, Miele's "installation Partner," since December 22nd. Apparently, my address is not in the normal installation area for All State, Notably, All State advertises that it serves the entire DMV (DC, MD and Northern VA and I am located 25.5 miles from the US Capitol). All State has informed me that its installation department "might" call me sometime this week to arrange installation, but no promises. I am now entering my 12th week without a functioning dryer. So, Miele does not have the most reliable installation Partner. Another noteworthy issue with Miele's warranty service.

• luna123456
    3 months ago

Its an endemic problem with all appliance repair. Are you able to go get it yourself?

• Lannie
    3 months ago

Actually, I just got a call to schedule delivery. I spent the morning stirring the pot.

• Heli Strober
    2 months ago

I have had Miele all my life and really was very happy with the washer and dryer UNTIL I updated the dryer to T1. It’s the worst for dryer ever for bedding. When you load flat sheets and/or duvet covers and the cotton program starts in less than 10 minutes they are all a one big ball and the machine is slightly swaying. I’ve tried the tennis ball trick and it doesn’t help. I’m thinking the dryer drum is simply too big. I’m starting to look for other options. If you have recommendations please reply!

• littlegreeny
    2 months ago

Have you tried using the bed linen program?

• Lannie
    2 months ago

Have you tried the bed linen setting? I do agree that the new T1 dryer is a bust. Bosch is no better with consistent issues with the pump.

• windsorwest
    2 months ago

We have a home and apartment full of Miele appliances. That said, our new T1 is the worst purchase ever! So much so we purchased a new big 'ol basic GE electric dryer to place in the basement,, The Miele W1 and T1 are in a first floor laundry room. The GE dries in a fraction of the time without any issues.

• luna123456
    2 months ago

That is very odd. Our T1 has over 7500 hours on it and it has not had any problems. Almost all loads are dry within an hour or less. It will never be as fast as a gas dryer. It is the nature of the technology. It is designed for efficiency and to be able to be placed anywhere, without a dryer vent.

• HU-461442844
    2 months ago

As mentioned, the Miele Bed Linens cycle is the remedy for the rolling or balling up of sheets, blankets etc. The drum reverses directions more often than the other cycles. The Time Dry cycles does quite well too.

Our full size Whirlpool Duet dryer rolls things up too and requires manual intervention from time to time with bedding. It's difficult to compare any heat pump to a vented electric or gas heated dryer. The heat pump is a somewhat slower process, but way more efficient.

For us, the W1/T1 pair were easy to add in an 2nd floor walk-in closet. We were able to access plumbing for the washer, but no way to vent a full size dryer or easily add a 240 volt outlet for a regular dryer. So in our situation, the Miele machines solved the installation problem and perform very well on 120 volt power.

• vlb321
    last month

I stumbled on this chain today. I have had so many of these issues with my TXR860WP since October 2021 when I purchased it — endless spinning and no real heating, which means three hours to dry what should take 45-60 mins. I have never gotten a single error message, including to clean the lint filter which I do after every load. I have had five authorized service provider visits (two different providers). After the first three service tech visits, I had the unit in storage for a year due to renovation work in my house. I have now had two additional service calls. All the techs have tried, but they are SUPER ill-equipped by Miele to know what to do, haven’t been able to get the proper manuals, can’t get the tech team to talk to them while they are doing the diagnostics, etc. “Miele customer service” are three words which don’t belong together — I have had ONE helpful person at Miele on the phone out of more than a dozen calls. Supposedly I am now supposed to hear from their “dispatch team” but I have my doubts. Not under extended warranty, but didn’t matter when it was under warranty and didn’t work out of the gate. Per your advice, Lannie, I am absolutely going to file a consumer complaint, but thanks to your helpful posts luna23456, I will see if my HVAC folks maybe can test refrigerant. I’d really love to dump my lemon dryer at the Miele Experience Center at Tyson’s with a sign that says “beware” and go buy an LG, but 5K for the set later, I would really love a functioning W/D set even more.

• Lannie
    last month

Did you contact your seller? Mine engaged with his Miele rep. Retailers do not want customers complaining in a forum like this and neither do the sales teams.

I finally got my replacement dryer. I hold my breath each time I start a load…..will it dry or will it not. I also bought an expandable drying rack on Amazon and do some final air drying using that, especially when I do have a small but mixed load where the items don’t dry evenly.

I have been advised to try to find a 2000 to 2010 Miele Novatronics condensing dryer, like I had in my old house, and use that if this replacement fails. Much more effective than the heat pump dryer and easy to repair. Better than a new set at $5K.

I think I can speak for all of us disappointed Miele dryer owners when I wish you good luck. Luna has great ideas and is obviously knowledgeable.

• vlb321
    last month

I did, and he forwarded to his Miele Rep my email entitled “My lemon Miele dryer” which said,“Just FYI that Miele is completely inept in terms of their customer response. My dryer hasn’t worked in 30 days, there have been two service calls, and they haven’t provided the service manual for the models to their authorized service provider… so here I sit with no ability to dry clothes, while I wait for them not to provide any service. Please convey to your Miele representative how unhappy I am! I am sure you guys don’t own this problem, but you should have extremely limited trust in Miele from here on out. I sure am never buying another Miele appliance! They usually are great, but boy, talk about an epic fail. I am considering buying an LG to put in its place so I can do laundry and get it dry!” No change. Supposedly the rep forwarded to his higher ups, but here I still am. I mostly just trek my laundry to the LG Washtower in the basement when I need a load done in less than 4 hours total.

• HU-133093109
    last month

It takes forever to dry and makes dust i enourmos amount. do not by it. terrible.

• luna123456
    last month

There is a basic service sheet behind the intake grill on the bottom right side, directly opposite the plinth filter door. It is in a plastic bag and is very easy to miss. Any servicing tech should be able to service the mechanical, electrical and refrigeration system with this sheet. It is not a service manual, but rather and ”blueprint” for each of the subsystems.

Any technician who can read the schematics and understand them should be able to troubleshoot the machine.

Miele has a parts website that has exploded diagrams of every part in the machine. Google Miele service parts and it can be found. This can help a lot with figuring out how take apart the machine or to order specific parts.

Miele calls their service manuals ”Descriptive Technical Documents”. If you google that with your model or just T1, several ”service manuals” can be found. Most of the issues that can arrise will be common to all heat pump dryers and Miele’s sub systems and programming are similar enough on all models that it should work to troubleshoot the dryer.

Finally, this instance is where the extedned warranty can really pay off. It has a three attempt to repair the same problem clause and if it is not repaired then the consumer receives either a brand nee replacement appliance or their money back. This is a very good reason to always buy this for Miele. The warranty is sold directly by them, but honored by a third party insurance company. This is a huge plus as if Miele is dragging their feet the consumer can go directly to the insurance company.

• luna123456
    last month
    last modified: last month

Here are pictures that show how to open/remove the right side grill. This needs to be done periodically to clean the ”fins” of the waste heat radiator. Use a vacuum with a dusting brush for cleaning.

Use the handle of a spoon or fork to open the gril through the three oval depressions. The tabs on thr grill cover need to be pushed in/away from the metal frame of the dryer. Start at the top of the plastic frame and push each tab in one at a time. Use the other hand to hold the frame as each tab is released.

When reattaching the grill cover make sure the three ”feet” on the right side of the cover are inserted into their slots on the right side of the dryer metal frame, then simply push the cover closed.

• luna123456
    last month

• luna123456
    last month

Our family has had no warranty issues with our dryer yet.

• luna123456
    last month

@HU-133093109

What do you mean it makes dust? The dyer chamber is a sealed system that recirculates the air.

• vlb321
    last month

Thanks, luna123456. At least in my instance, the vacuuming of the grille fins and the diagram / service sheet discovery was done repeatedly (the vacuuming) and long ago (the service sheet). As you note, it seems logical to me that the Miele authorized and recommended service providers could figure out how to access the service sheet / diagrams / etc etc, but that has not been my experience with either of the DMV service providers. That all said, thanks to your comment, Lannie, I reached out again this morning to my seller, and maybe there is a replacement dryer in my future yet. I do not look forward to waiting 12 weeks for a replacement dryer, ha, especially as I am also in the DMV, but we shall see! Windsorwest, keep at it — the dryer should dry a basic load in give or take an hour. If it doesn’t, start down the very long road of demanding Miele to do more than sell an appliance — it should deliver on the quality and customer service for which we all paid a premium. Maybe there will be a positive outcome!

• windsorwest
    last month

Vib321, I am following this thread closely!

Thanks Luna for the EW info. Fortuitously we have the extended warranty which was a promotion when we bought them.

I am currently in a villa on the Treasure Coast with a stack Whirpool which dries in minutes! It just shouldn't be this difficult with my T1.

PS Where are people buying spare plinth filters? Are the eBay knock offs any good?

• luna123456
    last month

Direct from Miele. They are not that expensive and they have always been in stock. It costs just enough that shipping should be free.

• luna123456
    last month

Direct from Miele. They dont cost much,

• vlb321
    14 days ago

Hello WindsorWest and others… an update to my lemon T1 dryer saga. I mentioned 3/22 that thanks to the excellent advice received in this forum, I had reached out to my seller. He worked through his Miele rep to get replacement authorization and called me at the end of the day to say a replacement was being authorized. I heard the same from Miele’s customer service team about 5 hours later on Friday, 3/22. Miele’s rep told me replacement had been authorized and I would hear from their next handoff team in 3-5 work days. I called to follow up once around 4/3, 8 business days later, and was told I would get a call back when the person on my case was back from lunch…. Apparently it was a long lunch since I never heard back at all. Meanwhile, I (humorously) got a message from Miele about my dishwasher — clearly confusing me with another problem case! On 4/9 I got an email from Miele US saying a replacement was being shipped to Allstate Appliance in the DMV and I would hear from them in 24 hours. Called them on Friday 4/12 and was told the dryer was coming in on Monday and they could only schedule installation once they had it. On 4/15 late in the day I got a call from them, offering to bring it between 9 and 12 the next morning! Hooray! Yesterday morning it arrived. The Allstate delivery team did an excellent job and got it installed on my plinth drawer. Then they left, and I did a load of wash…. And then, with apologies for burying the lede here, I put the load in the dryer and guess what — it calculated itself to be dry in 28 mins!!!!!!! My “normal” cycle used to start its calculus at 2 hours 51 mins. And after the 28 mins? The dryer was perceptibly warm when I opened it (that never happened before), all my clothes were dry, and I did two loads of laundry in about an hour ten mins instead of one load taking four hours. I am thrilled to FINALLY have a functioning dryer and am happy that Miele has finally after huge duress made it right. That said, the process to achieve a functioning dryer was so long, so aggravating, and so damaging to my opinion of Miele, I bought an LG set a few weeks for a new 3rd floor laundry space. I truly wish Miele had done right by me up front, so that I could have happily gone back to them for a second W1/ T1 set, even as pricey as the set is. But Miele blew it and then some!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022