SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Frustrated with the neighbors dog...well the owners

The neighbors two doors down from my house had a beagle for about 10 years. The lots are at least 5 acres, so it is not that close. She has always roamed the neighborhood. For the first year or so I called the owners to call her or walked her over. Nothing ever changed, their excuse was that she was a stray when they took her in. I gave up on that, giving her a scratch every couple of days for ten minutes was a lot less time and trouble. Of course I was still always worried about her getting hit by a car. Seems some people were not that patient, she has been picked up by animal control before. Something changed. Since around Thanksgiving she has been over every day for hours. Driving one of my dogs nuts, so I have to always stop what I am doing to take her inside. Don’t want my dog to annoy the neighbors with the barking. My other dog does not like dogs, but surprisingly he has chosen to completely ignore her by now. She has been digging in the flower beds, taken naps on top of my daffodils and tried to chew her way into trash bags inside my garage. A week ago she started scratching at the door to be let in. My husband spent a lot of time over Christmas break replacing the trim, sanding and painting this door, so this is really getting to be too much. I emailed the owners a couple of days ago. So far no response and no result. I mean, this guy is a lawyer. So he should know about leash law. Or at least looked at the bylaws from our HOA. We don’t have many rules, but one is to keep your pets on your property or on a leash. With all the commercials of his I see on tv here, he should have the money to put up a fence if needed. This dog is really sweet, but she is also very submissive. So even if I just clap my hands softly and tell her to go home (in a not raised voice) she just rolls over on her back and looks all sad. I honestly feel sorry for her, but my husband has a lot of work. So he shouldn’t have to fix the same things again. I am not even going to mention my flowers.

Just a vent, but if you have suggestions what to do without scaring the poor dog to death, I would appreciate it. Sorry this is so long.

Comments (63)