SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atwood73

Neighbor burning during a burn ban

atwood73
17 years ago

I really need some input on what to do here. In August, my new neighbor (which actually doesn't own the property) was burning during a burn ban. He left for lunch and before I knew it my entire back yard was ablaze. It burned some lumber that was stored behind our shop, metal, piping (my husband owns a construction company, lawnmower, and the fire department came in and bulldozed down several 25-foot cedar trees. We ended up with a little over $5,000 worth of damage to our property. He was fined by the forestry commission for unlawful burning and fined by the fire department for them to come out (he wasn't a member of the fire dept. here). Well, I sent him a bill (he agreed verbally to pay for the damages). A month went by with no contact from him. I sent him another letter giving him fourteen days to respond or I would take legal action against him. Well, he has moved without anyone knowing. I just found out someone else is living in the house now. I have no idea where to find this person, and I am in the process of trying to get a copy of the ticket he was issued. My question is....is HE at fault or should I go after the property owner? I am really frustrated with this whole mess. If it weren't for the fire department's quick response, my entire house would have burned to the ground. I want to put a lien against the property or take them to small claims court, but I am confused on whom to sue, the faulty neighbor or the owner of the home. I would appreciate any input from anyone!! Thanks, Brandie

Comments (7)