SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aglitter

Wolf Vent Hood Pricing

Aglitter
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There is an old 2009 thread about pricing for Wolf/Sub-Zero products [here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/wolf-subzero-prices-dsvw-vd~2261947?n=14). I thought I'd start a new one for 2019 to talk about how to find the lowest possible price. Wolf is based in Wisconsin, USA, and adheres to Unilateral Minimum Resale Price (UMRP) explained here that restricts resellers from discounting the products very much at all or else they will lose their distributorship. I've only been able to find evidence online that resellers may occasionally discount new Wolf products 5% if at all.

No one publicly advertises their Wolf pricing, so online comparison shopping is impossible. Calling stores for pricing can be tedious due to long hold times, especially if you're not aware of the distributorship zones and which stores are allowed to ship to your address. Wolf restricts distributors to a limited geographical area, so even large online resellers can't ship to locations outside of their area which is limited to one or two states or possibly a portion of one state. You're forced to find a nearby dealer which usually also means owing tax on the purchase.

For value-based promotion, it is more common for resellers to offer non-price-based rebates with UMRP-controlled products such as a dollar amount off of a combined appliances purchase. They may also offer delivery, installation or other services for free to help promote sales.

People really don't re-sell used Wolf products online in places like Craig's List or Ebay, especially vent hoods, since those are installed with the intention of finishing out a full useful life in the same location. The one workaround that could result in savings is finding a floor model demo that is being sold at clearance. I found one such Wolf vent hood at a 30% discount with the only evident damage being about 8" in length of gummy adhesive left on the stainless steel from previous adhesive stickers. If anyone has other ideas on how to find these products at a discount, I'd appreciate the comments. Wolf has the type of hood we want, but reports of quality issues such as plastic knobs breaking off the vent hoods make it questionable whether the extra money is worth it compared to a cheaper hood that may not quite have everything we're looking for. The difference in savings would be almost a thousand dollars even with the floor model discount.

Comments (23)