SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aglitter

BlueStar vs. Wolf Vent Hood

Aglitter
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Background - Why Choose BlueStar or Wolf?

My city, as do many, restricts homes to a 400 CFM range hood blower per the International Residential Code (IRC) if no make up air (MUA) system is present (some cities amend the IRC to lower ratings such as 300 CFM or make limited exceptions up to 600 CFM). For us, installing a ducted hood in place of our original recirculating hood is going to be a complex navigation to a side wall through a ceiling with a second-floor balcony above, so installing an additional make up air duct is something we won't be doing for this and several other reasons.

So, within the 400 CFM or less constraint, we would like the most performant hood available for our 30" standard residential GE range/oven unit inspired by the discussion at the helpful Hood FAQ with aperature, capture area, size and mounting height taken into consideration. That doesn't leave many options outside of expensive custom hoods. Almost all the professional-style hoods start at a minimum of 600 CFM for an internal blower, and no, in-line and external blowers are out of consideration for us because of no attic access and unprotected exterior wall vent duct location.

BlueStar and Wolf have emerged as frontrunners, both with 300 CFM internal blower options. Finding reliable reviews and comparisons has been tough, so I'm posting this thread by way of helping future shoppers navigate the choices.

Noise, Stiff Controls and Sharp Corners on BlueStar Hoods

I thought BlueStar was going to be the best choice just based on many hours of online research. However, when I visited a showroom, saw the hoods in person and talked to a salesman, several concerns emerged. I'll list my overall findings and let you decide whether each point is a pro or con for you.

1. BlueStar falls into the sweet mid-range price point between cheaply-made hoods and very expensive ones. They make custom hoods that quickly rise in cost, but a standard professional-style stainless steel 36" hood system including the blower can be purchased for $2,000 to $2,500.
  2. BlueStar has the backing of a solid reputation. It is part of the Prizer brand portfolio that also includes Abbaka, all three reputable brands. Prizer and BlueStar hoods are hand-made in Pennsylvania. Online reviews for Prizer and BlueStar hoods are hard to find, but the reviews that are available tend to be positive.
  3. The materials are quality. BlueStar hoods are made out of 300 grade stainless steel that resists rust more so than the 450 grade used by less expensive brands. BlueStar's gauge of stainless steel is 18 or 16 which is heavier than the 20 or 22 used by some others. BlueStar has a few options for double-walled stainless steel hoods, though mounting weight should be taken into consideration with those. In other words, the BlueStar hoods are as durable as you'll find on the market today.
  4. Noise is a concern. BlueStar baffles are tight together which can cause greater air noise including an annoying whistling sound heard by some owners. BlueStar notably doesn't list sones ratings for its hoods as highlighted at [this thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1200cfm-oversized-hoodoverkill-for-30-bluestar-range-dsvw-vd~2269386?n=47). A showroom salesman told me that customers complain about BlueStar hood noise, and when I turned both working showroom hood models on even to medium speed, I was surprised by the noise level.
  5. The light and fan control knobs were incredibly hard to turn on. I hope perhaps this isn't the case for all hoods, but if it is, BlueStar needs to do something to correct this problem.
  6. The corners of the BlueStar hoods were certainly acceptable but no match in beauty to Wolf either in shape or consistency.

Wolf Hoods Have Plastic Knobs - Otherwise So Many Advantages

Consumer Reports websites host hundreds of reviews from Wolf customers, and many talk about the plastic hood control knobs that break off. A showroom salesman confirmed that yes, it is common for the knobs to break off, but otherwise the quality issues with Wolf are minimal. Here is my further list of observations:

1. Wolf has taken a bad reputation for plastic knobs that break off on vent hoods, but the knobs are so much easier to operate than BlueStar's, look good and can be replaced. Many homeowners who treat the knobs gently never have problems. Wolf's quality otherwise appears to be excellent.
  2. Price is going to run higher than a BlueStar basic hood unless you find something on discount. Wolf is such a widely-sold brand that the opportunities for finding a clearanced or open-box model at a local dealer or discounts online are promising. A BlueStar hood package that might cost $2,500 could run $3,000 or more in Wolf.
  3. Wolf uses Broan fans. I'd be interested in researching whether other brands could be used such as Fantech. Wolf has a 300 CFM option unlike so many brands that manufacture pro-style hoods, and a salesman told me that this is because Wolf is based in the northeast where a lot of cities have strict CFM requirements in the building code.
  4. The corners and finish of the Wolf are simply beautiful. I was quite taken with the beauty of the hood when seeing it in person. Also, the 36" hoods are quite substantial. I had been thinking of going as large as a 42" hood over my 30" range to increase efficiency, but I am thinking the 36" will be plenty.

So, that's all for now. I'll add more in the comments if anything else comes up. Hope this is helpful. We are leaning toward purchase of a Wolf hood because we found one on clearance and like it overall better than the BlueStar given all considerations.

Comments (21)