SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmckuin

Want to swap current laundry room and mudroom - would love some help

lmckuin
5 years ago

We have an older (but relatively new to us) house and we're finding that 80% of the time, we come into the house from the basement (where our garage is). We walk directly into the laundry room and often have to stare at piles of clothes waiting to get put away.

Right next to the laundry room is a mudroom. But it's not on the way anywhere and although we store sports gear there that we use, it becomes a dumping ground for random stuff and is a room that really isn't used on a day-to-day basis. I've attached the current layout of the space.

So our latest idea is to swap them. If the mudroom were the room with accessible storage and "drop spots" for coats, backpacks, etc. right when we walk in, I think we are much more likely to make that a useable space. And it would just look better to not look at the washer and dryer when we walk in.

I'm picturing a wall of locker-like cubbies along the wall where the washer and dryer are. There is a high window over the washing machine, so I'd probably make that part a window seat for putting on shoes and make the other storage areas go to the ceiling. The spot under the stairs is currently open but I'm thinking of enclosing that with drawers/ shelves, too. I'd like a place for a few seldom used kitchen items (extra oven rack, large roasting pan, vases, etc.)

And then in the new laundry room, put the washer and dryer up against the exterior wall (the wall on top). I think I'll need to vent the dryer on the far right wall (where the exterior door is) as the top wall is mostly (all?) underground there. It's a bigger room than the current laundry room so I'm hoping we'd still have room for snow gear, sports equipment, ice chests, camp chairs - but that may be too ambitious. It's wide enough that I think we could also put some cubbies/ narrow storage on the lower wall against the garage (the door isn't quite as close to the bottom wall as it looks). Our water shut off valve is in the current storage room so hopefully that means it won't be too hard to get the water moved to that space.

What do you all think? Is this a doable project? Should we remove the closet in the laundry room to make that corner have more accessible built in storage? Anyone have ideas/ photos/ mock-ups for me to start envisioning either room? Would love to hear any ideas this community has.

Thanks!

Comments (6)