SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khaubs

Help with Drop zone design in combo mudroom/laundry room

K H
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm having a terrible time. Spent a lot of time planning this out during our initial blue print design but now I just can't put it together with what will work best... Here is my list of needs: Coat/hat/sports bag storage and drying rack for clothes. This is the entry most used for our house. I feel bad that I didn't design a better friends entry initially after seeing everyone else's beautiful homes here on Houzz. (But we didn't have an unlimited budget and spent more money then we wanted to anyway)

The layout (we didn't do the closet and now I'm kicking myself for it! But they also put a cold air return there so I don't know if we can put one in now?)

What I have in the place of where the closet was supposed to be...

Possibilities: Put in a beadboard accent and shelves with a cupboard underneath for sports bag storage?

Or maybe find an old wardrobe to set in the space (the space is actually 44" x 25".)

This is where I have been drying my clothes. There is a vent there so the clothes dry pretty quickly, I had originally planned for a bench to hit the cabinet run which is why there is a solid bar between the lowest drawer and cabinet. That door goes to the garage.

Maybe I should put in something like this in....

Mudroom and laundry sink · More Info

Or maybe something like this over a bench?

I just don't know if these dry clothes like jeans/dress pants very well?

I purchased two of these hoping they would be strong enough to hold jeans and tried to hang them side by side under the farmhouse shelf but they wouldn't sit right next to each other because of the round knob on the bottom where the hooks are. (These were also cheaper then the white drying rack above $85 vs $325!) But maybe I should just return them if they aren't going to work!

Looking from the garage entry toward the kitchen. Not sure what to do with this either. I don't like looking at the sides of the dryer but oh well. I thought I could put sports schedules and the school lunch menu there. But this is where my kids are hanging their coats right now and it just looks messy!

Looking from the kitchen into the laundry/mudroom.

Long post but maybe you all can help me? I really need something functional and beautiful even if I have to go in stages to save money for each area! You guys have all been so helpful in the past :)

Comments (20)