SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgmd_gaz

Difficult times, but sadly one has a 'happy' ending

lgmd_gaz
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Since the second week of December 2018, bad things seemed to tumble all around me. A dear friend was diagnosed with a massive, football sized was the word the doctor used, tumor on a kidney. He has been in great pain and unable to eat solid food and any other normal functions of the body because the tumor is crowding all organs. Today surgery is to be scheduled because efforts to shrink the tumor before surgery has failed. It will be very risky, but necessary.

About the same time, my 50 year old nephew had a stroke, paralyzing his left side. A fist sized piece of his skull was removed to relieve the pressure of his brain swelling. He is in therapy now hoping to get some function back, but it will be a very difficult road for him.

Then yesterday while I was in the middle of eye surgery to remove a cataract, my dear sister passed away. For more than 2 months she has been in a lot of belly pain which the nursing home didn't seem to address, plus tremendous weight gain due to fluid build up from heart failure. She has been completely helpless other than feed herself for sometime due to this muscle wasting disease that she and I share. Finally she was taken to the hospital this past Sunday night where she was diagnosed with a perforated bowel. She died shortly after surgery Monday morning. Her passing is the sad, but 'happy' ending to this story. It is what she told me when I visited her last Friday. In a moment of pain she said, "I just want to be with Mom and Dad and George (her husband). That would make me happy"

Comments (32)