SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_ll62

Anyone feel like helping me look at rugs?

Lolly603
5 years ago

Some of you may remember I posted a while back about furniture placement and many of you suggested new furniture. After thinking about it for the last month or so, I really like my well made comfortable furniture, and the layout and scale feels "right" in person (not as much in pictures, but in real life I like the size and placement). I'm probably 10 years away from buying new furniture, because I don't want to spend on that until kiddos are grown. So, long story short, I'm ready to shop for a rug.

I am horrible at visualizing how things will look, and have never purchased a rug before (old house didn't feel like it needed it). Would anyone like to play with ideas? I took an updated pic so you can see what the doom looks like in the day. Please excuse any holiday clutter that hasn't made it's way to a permanent home yet :)

I have kids so no white please, and a pattern would probably be good to hide any dust or spills (although we don't typically eat in here so not a huge concern with spills). What fabric do you recommend? I am a bit concerned about synthetic rugs having a smell when I look at the store. Any experience? We may be getting a cat soon if that's a factor to consider.

I don't have a lot of decor yet, so colour scheme is basically what you see in the pic. grey walls and floor, black furniture, turquoise throw pillows. I love turquoise, aqua, and pale pink (in smaller quantities). I don't know what you'd call my style, but like an uncluttered, calm feel to my house but also want it to feel inviting if that makes sense? When I find side tables I like, the yellow stool is eventually moving back against the wall by the front door under the hooks (it's my mini mudroom and may not be the prettiest, but it's needed for functionality at this stage of our life).

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)