How old were you when you realized what money is?
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (27)
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
What were you gung ho about but later realized later it wasn't
Comments (5)This may not be quite in the spirit of your question, but when we were younger I wanted a BIG house with ALL the bells and whistles! When I saw a new idea, I wanted to incorporate it -- media rooms? Wow, that's a thing? I need it! A kids' den, a game room -- yes and yes! Oversized eat-in kitchen AND formal dining room. Of course I want those! Now that we're older, I think more about the house as JUST ONE of my priorities, and I think more about opportunity costs, maintenance costs, and cleaning. Now I want something much smaller and more practical. Now I'm much more interested in efficiency and doing things RIGHT instead of just having appealing spaces. The irony: Back when I wanted ALL THAT STUFF I couldn't afford it . . . but now that I could easily afford it, I don't want it....See MoreHow Old Were You When You........?
Comments (31)I was almost 17, but didn't think it was a date at first. A close friend worked for the Rec Dept as a summer job. His cousins were a well-known singing group, and he knew they would be playing in town. Diana Ross was going to be on the show too. He got the tickets from work, and one day after summer school class he asked if anyone wanted them. There was a group jumping up and down screaming to get the tickets, and he picked me. I told him that I would give him the money the next day. That's when he told me that I was going as his date - WOW, was I shocked. My mom took me shopping for a new dress and shoes and all the other accessories. I was pretty shy, and heavier than everyone else. She was so sweet to try to make me feel like the other girls that were going. I'll never forget that concert - open-air amphitheatre, and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" has just come out. That was my first boyfriend - we dated for a little over 6 mos. We remained friends for a while and would hang out every once in a while. After I have been dating my soon-to-be-hubby (now, ex) for only a few weeks, my friend had taken me to go car shopping. When we got back to my house, my "hubby" was there waiting to take me out. To this day (a couple of decades later),even after being divorced, "hubby" can't get over that - even though it was something very innocent. Unfortunately, my friend passed away about 12 years later from a massive heart attack. I found out at the HS 10 year reunion. When it was announced, everyone in the room turned around to see my expression. They knew we were always close - he was very well liked by everyone. Oh well, enough of my story. Short answer - almost 17....See MoreI didn't realize how hard it is to do some things when you dont'
Comments (20)As i said my nails didn't fall off but they were grey striped,and red spots,yet they were very strong,and i'll never figure that one out.I actually used one of my nails to screw a screw back into something that had become loose. Now that chemo is over,my nails are no longer discolored,and they grow but are very soft.I was going to try the biotin,but when i read the label it had soy in it,and i have to steer clear of soy as well,so i didn't buy it. Kat ,i hear ya,when it comes to picking things up,i told DH the other day when i went back to work years ago after having kids,i got the job i applied for because i had good finger dexterity,now i have trouble picking up the pills i have to take!!! Hope your nails come back nice and strong,and your hair too if you lost it. (((((((((((((((((KAT))))))))))))))))))))))) Kathi...See MoreQOTD - How old were you when you started quilting?
Comments (14)Valarie, I love your class story! I learned to knit when I was very young (around 5 or 6) and when I was around 7 my mom took me to knitting classes at Sears. She would drop me off at the classroom and go shop. The adult ladies in the class (who all seemed quite ancient to me LOL) just loved having a little kid to teach! One made me a knitting bag and others gave me tools like row counters and yarn needles. I learned to sew clothes when I was young, too. My mom sewed all our clothes. She made quilts, too I remember going off to 7th grade in an outfit I had made. The first time I remember quilting was when I was in high school - I started a quilt that I designed (a log cabin variation). It's king size, all hand cut with scissors and templates, hand pieced, and hand quilted. I have no idea what got me started on it, but it took a very long time to finish it! I kept making clothes for myself and DH. When we bought our house 23 years ago I decided the space above the mantle really needed and Amish quilt. After that one I made lots of other wall hangings, then about 10-12 years ago I attended the quilt show put on by the local guild. I just loved the quilts so I joined the guild and started seriously quilting. I have lots of photos in albums and on the computer - I should try to catalogue them. I have no idea how many I've made. Donna...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESReuse or Replace? How to Save Money on Your Remodel the Smart Way
Find out when you should keep your appliances, fixtures, tile and countertops — and when you should replace them
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESMy Houzz: A Centuries-Old French Estate Charms Again
Time and local artisans help a couple realize an idyllic French country retreat — and you can rent it
Full Story
Replace Your Windows and Save Money — a How-to Guide
Reduce drafts to lower heating bills by swapping out old panes for new, in this DIY project for handy homeowners
Full Story
BUDGET DECORATING14 Ways to Make More Money at a Yard Sale — and Have Fun Too
Maximize profits and have a ball selling your old stuff, with these tips to help you plan, advertise and style your yard sale effectively
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSGo Beyond the Basics When Interviewing Architects
Before you invest all that money and time, make sure you and your architect are well matched beyond the obvious levels
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWorking With Pros: When You Just Need a Little Design Guidance
Save money with a design consultation for the big picture or specific details
Full Story
YOUR FIRST HOUSE10 Things to Consider When Renovating a Condo
Take these steps to ensure that your project runs smoothly and you get the most for your money
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESThis Designer’s Client Was Her 10-Year-Old Son
What do you give a boy with a too-babyish bedroom when he’s approaching double digits? See for yourself
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGEcofriendly Cool: Insulate With Wool, Cork, Old Denim and More
Learn about the pros and cons of healthier alternatives to fiberglass and foam, and when to consider an insulation switch
Full Story
colleenoz