SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_in_baltimore

Where should my kitchen go?

5 years ago

We are in the first stages of planning a complete kitchen remodel in our rowhouse. We've gotten a coupe of contractors in to do initial proposals. Currently the kitchen is in the back of the three rooms on the first floor (the leftmost room in this layout):

One of the contractors proposed moving it into the center room. It's a larger room, and they said they think they could design a functional eat-in kitchen with a built-in banquette for the dining table in the nook that runs along the north side of that room. That would give us an extra functional space in the house, which we could use. We are four people in about 1400 square feet. I imagine the house will only feel smaller as our children, who are currently both preschool age, get bigger. It would also allow us to spend more time hanging out in the back room, which gets by far the best light in the house (we have a porch off the front, so get little direct light in those windows).

On the other hand, putting the kitchen in the center room seems like it might be a hassle. We cook at home for almost every meal. We'd obviously try to come up with a design that would help hide dirty dishes from the viewpoint of the table - I'm envisioning an island with a raised side, for example - but we'd still be eating most of our meals in a just-cooked-in kitchen. Entertaining might also be stressful, since we'd be doing any last-minute cooking right in the center of the action. We aren't exactly throwing big parties every weekend, but we do have friends over for dinner reasonably regularly. Mostly other couples with kids, so they will understand if our house isn't exactly pristine, but still might be annoying.

I would love to hear input, or suggestions about how to lay out a kitchen in the center room to minimize the potential hassles associated with this.

FWIW, it will be more expensive to move the kitchen to the center room, because we'll have to move plumbing. If we keep the kitchen in back, we'll keep the dishwasher and sink in their current locations (we have an electric induction range). But the cost difference isn't large enough that it's the deciding factor for us.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH