SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Goose Pie and leftovers

plllog
5 years ago

I couldn't figure out which thread to add this to, so please don't be put out that I started another one.
If any of you reading this still don't know, I cooked my first goose on Christmas.

The goose was good, but there was barely enough. There was a slice left, which either proves that there was, in fact, enough or someone was being too polite. I brought the slice home, along with the carcass. The wings were too stringy to get nice meat off of, but there was one "slice" left on one of the breasts, one and a drumsticks, and quite a bit in the tush (back part of the thighs). Plus the scrips and scraps you might find on any bird. It was enough to feed 3-4 people, which was perfect for tonight's gathering. #4 had to work, but the rest of us had a merry time.

This party was supposed to have been two weeks ago. I had small acorn squash that I'd bought to try Islay's way of making individual squash with leeks, creme fraiche and cheddar. They were oranger than the mottled they'd started at, but still in fine shape. I thought they'd go very well with the goose, but it took a long time to figure out how to do it. Picking the carcass kept drawing me into hash land, or sauced over rice, but the squash are starchy enough. The big DUH flashed before my eyes. A pot pie would be perfect. I even have a 9" Emile Henry baking dish (French) to go with the very Frenchy kind of preparation of the squash. :D

This is the most perfect coming together of leftovers I've ever had. I sliced up some cremini mushrooms and baby carrots, broke up a bunch of enoki mushrooms, and chopped half an Anaheim chili pepper and half an orange bell pepper. Cooked the mushrooms down with the aromatics and a bit of leftover apple cider from making the Christmas day pear sauce. Then I added in the left over wine reduction and unused thawed pearl onions. There was plenty enough seasoning in the reduction that I didn't have to consider that. I did add just a bit of flour for body, and stirred in the goose. It was a perfect amount for the baking dish, with room for the topping, which was leftover parsnip puree.

The kids really liked it! They looked a little puzzled when I said "goose" but after one bite, one said, "I like goose!" They both had second helpings, and liked the squash too. For a started, I had some mixed olives with feta. My greens had been forgotten at the Christmas dinner house, so I just put out some mixed little tomatoes. I'd considered making a tomato salad and decided they'd be a better counterpoint just as is. There were also the last for the blue cheese shortbread leaves from the first dinner. It's great feeding young people with healthy appetites and adventurous palates. :) The dinner also ended up looking good and colorful on the plates. I was ever so pleased to be able to pull this together without much planning or any shopping.

For desert, we had the last of the pumpkin cobbler, rewarmed in the steam oven.

It was a great meal, brought to you by the Christmas goose!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz