SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skibby_gw

Books for Christmas?

We haven't exchanged gifts in our family for a few years now. I did come up with an idea that I thought would be fun though. A few days ago I asked DH if I gave him a gift bag, would he go around to all the book cases and pick out say, 3-5 books at random for me to be opened on Christmas. He was all for it. Some of these books have just been languishing there for a very long time. I really want to read them all which is why I bought them in the first place. Christmas Eve arrived and I found a gift bag for him and he shooed me off to bed. "I've got to shop!" Well, this little project took on a life of it's own. Christmas morning found not one gift bag, but two under the tree. What started out as 3-5 selections from eight bookcases became 10 books. Here are his thoughtful selections:

Robin Hood - edited by G. C. Harvey

Swan - Frances Mayes

Random Harvest - James Hilton

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier

Hans Brinker - Mary Mapes Dodge

The Reserve - Russell Banks

Bread and Roses, Too - Katherine Paterson

The $64 Tomato - William Alexander

The House on Coliseum Street - Shirley Ann Grau

Sweetgrass - Mary Alice Monroe

Out of all of these I've only read one. (Bread and Roses, Too). DH told be he enjoyed this as much (or more) than I did. Even though I already owned these I forgot I had most of them and I feel like I've won the lottery! Up first: Hans Brinker, and I have the perfect bookmark. Best Christmas since I was a kid. DH said it was for him, too. This tradition is a keeper.

Any books for you this Christmas?

Comments (13)