SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veer_gw

Philomena: Book and Film

veer
10 years ago

Our youngest son, knowing I had enjoyed the movie, bought me the book for Christmas.

If you plan to see/read either . .. look away now.

First the book by Martin Sixsmith.
Other than the prologue, the early chapters deal with the birth of Philomena's son in a home for 'fallen women' in the Irish Midlands. Mothers and babies are kept there for up to three years so the mothers can work-off their debt to the nuns, atone for their sins and bring in a small but regular sum of money by way of State Benefits which the Abbey collects.
At some point the mothers sign away their rights to their babies, so they become the property of the Mother Superior who then offers them up for adoption.
Philomena's son is adopted/sold to a US couple who are looking for a daughter but also take a boy who is very attached to a little girl.
The 'story' moves to the US and concentrates on the upbringing and life of 'Michael Hess'.

In a nutshell. Clever, eager to please, excels at school, becomes a DC lawyer for Rep. Party. Double-life. Troubled with self-doubt, being gay, mixes in a sado-masochistic under-world. Contracts AIDS, little treatment available, dies.

In between this sad story, badly written in 'cod' American, in the style of a woman's magazine we are told how Sixsmith became involved with Philomena and their problems trying to find her son, while Michael is doing the same from the US.
He travels to Ireland, the nuns claim his mother gave him up at birth and wont help him. Much the same happens to Sixsmith. The nuns tell him everything was burnt in a fire (they forgot to add 'bonfire')

Though it would be unfair to blame the Church, the Irish Govt or the nuns for the way Michael's life/character turned out, for me one of the saddest and most telling parts of the book was when Michael, knowing he has little time to live, visits lreland again and asks the nuns if he can be buried at the Abbey in some hope that his mother might see his grave.
He is told that the graveyard is very full but that on payment of a 'large donation' they probably will find room for him.

The film, based on the book but much more concise 'tells' the story of Philomena, portrayed by Judi Dench, and although some of the facts have been slightly altered for a smooth-running story-line we get a interesting contrast between the world-weary reporter and the 'simple' but honest woman who was still suffering after 50 years.

It is unusual for me to enjoy a film rather than the book . . .but there is always a first time. ;-)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals