Movies about books , not movies based on a book

yoyobon_gw

I have just begun watching The Bookshop on Amazon Prime and am enjoying it very much.

It appears to be a British made film which won honors in 2018. It is really delightful .

Has anyone seen it ?

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheri_z6

Yoyo, in a funny coincidence I read about that movie in the Acorn DVD catalog just yesterday. I haven't seen it, but the description says it's based on the book by Penelope Fitzgerald. I know I read that book ages ago, but unfortunately I don't remember much about it. Enjoy!

Save    
vee_new

I also have read The Bookshop. I remember it being rather sad. I didn't realise it had been turned into a film.

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Thanks for posting this Yoyo. I saw the movie too and just loved it. So I ordered the book ILL. Didn't like it one bit and scrapped in only a short way in. Go figure.

Are you looking for recommendations or are you telling us about that one?

Save    
vee_new

The first film that came to mind was 84 Charing Cross Road about both books and a book shop. Yoyo you have probably seen it.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Yes Vee, and liked it very much.

Save    
socks

I watched that movie, and it was sad.

Save    
Lisa McCoy

So, You on netflix is also interesting. It is not completely about books but still a great watch, TW- serial killer and some graphic images

Save    
vee_new

How about Notting Hill? OK so it is a rom-com but Hugh Grant, he of the floppy hair and boyish charm, does run a travel book shop, even if the 'plot' doesn't hang about the stacks too much.

Please say some of you saw it way back in '99.

Notting Hill Trailer

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Of course ! What's not to love about Hugh ! I also liked his very nasty character in Bridget Jones' Diary, but the person in that movie can causes serious sighs is Colin Firth :0)

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

I bought the DVD of "Easy Virtue" just to see Colin Firth dance the tango again after seeing the movie on TV. Serious sighs, indeed!

It is on YouTube if you missed the movie.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

How about You’ve Got Mail? It’s about the owner of a little independent bookstore vs a big chain bookstore. And everybody falls in love in the end and all is well. Just like real life, right?

1 Like Save    
merryworld

Not a movie, but have you seen the TV series Black Books? It's a British sitcom about a curmudgeonly bookshop owner. Austenland is another (very) light rom-com with Jennifer Coolidge.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Books 11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
Events See the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
Fun Houzz 10 Leading-Role Movie Houses
Architecture and interior design steal the show in these 10 house-focused flicks
Full Story
PERENNIAL BUILDER is a full-service custom building and construction firm based in Greenwich, CT. We specialize... Read More
Our practice is almost entirely residential; while many examples in the portfolio are new construction,... Read More