SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

Interior designer before a general contractor to compare GC prices?

mamaandsage
5 years ago

I was talking with a friend about how I'm not clear how GCs charge. Overall I've heard many GCs charge 20% extra beyond what they have to pay subcontractors. My friend was saying that the only way I could find out what a GC was going to charge was to hire a designer to design the kitchen and then interview GCs that way we'd be comparing apples to apples. GC's #s seem so vague to me, even if line items are listed. I understand they might make money in one area and lose in another and they need to allow for cushion. I also wonder how to find a GC that's good at building, managing, designing, and has good recommendations on products when my guess is that many GCs go into the business because they are good at building. Having them organize their contacts alone is worth it to get not be without a kitchen for as long if we were going to act as our own GCs, but it seems there is more to picking a good GC. Like most people, we have a budget and I don't want to spend $ that I don't have to. I already have the kitchen layout chosen for the most part since a friend of mine who is a designer has the same layout and I'm probably going to go with a similar layout. I dont' want to use her for a lot of advice since she's going through chemo right now and she used IKEA cabinets also. I don't plan on using IKEA cabinets (unless wanting too many drawers will break the bank) and will need to figure out cabinet/drawer configurations...

Any tips for how to start this process before interviewing GCs would be greatly appreciated. Did you use a designer? Did it seem to help in the long run? thx!!

Comments (40)