SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialk1978

Interior Designer vs. GC

specialk1978
last year

The short version -- I am remodeling a bathroom in my home. I hired a designer who came up with a concept and design. I know an excellent GC who agreed to do the remodel and said he is available immediately. We began work on custom cabinetry who I hired directly.

The designer sent the GC an email regarding the scope of work which was quite lengthy and said that the designer would be sourcing the materials such as flooring, tile, etc. She asked the GC to give us an estimate. In response to the email, the GC pulled off the project.

The GC's explanation to me was that the designer was taking all the profit out of the job for the subs by saying she would source the materials herself. He also felt that her email was worded as though she was in charge of the project and not him, and he didn't appreciate it. His main issue, though, was that he worked with the designer in the past and didn't think she was capable/knowledgeable. He was going to do the project anyway because he knows me and it seemed simple enough, but for the email. He mentioned that I will have trouble finding a GC to work with her because she has burned other contractors.

I am curious about several things:

1. Is it correct that the designer should be letting the subs "source" the materials such as tile and flooring? If so, I would like to find a way to address that with her.
  2. Given that there are supply chain issues galore, should we not figure out what is in stock/available and order stuff asap?
  3. How could the GC possibly give an estimate without knowing what materials are being used? I already know/have a budget so what would be the reason to ask a GC for an estimate.

To imagine that this is the short version! I am well aware of my ig ignorance, by the way...TIA ☺️

Comments (31)