SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jc_ufl_gw

Architect vs. Interior Designer or Both?

jc_ufl
10 years ago

My wife and I could really use some advice from the Garden Web community.

We want to build a complete custom home and have a unique style preference for our area. Our style is very similar to Colorado Mountain Modern (Mix of stone, wood, metal) with perhaps a touch of southwestern contemporary. However, we will be building in the suburbs of Cleveland, OH where this particular style is not as prevalent. Therefore, we feel we need a talented design team to make our dream home a reality.

We know we at least need an architect and do not want to do a design / build with just one custom builder / company. We have read the comments from posters on this forums about design / builders and are following your advice.

Here is our issue...

We have been meeting with both architectural firms and Interior design firms. The architectural firms are telling us that they can do BOTH interior design and the standard architectural service in addition to "construction administration." The Interior designers we have talked to say they can do project management and design every aspect of the house, but would still need to bring in an architect for the floor plan design, structural planning, and construction drawings.

The architects we have met with are more expensive then the Interior designers (via hourly rate). Both firms seems like they can pull off our vision, however some of the architectural firms we talked to did not like the idea of working with an interior designer (although they said "if they had to, they would"). I really didn't like that attitude.

My questions:

1) How good is an architect at Interior design versus an experienced and reputable interior designer? Does the architect have the same connections (in regards to finishes and material selection) as an Interior designer?

2) If we hire both an Interior designer and architect, is that overkill?

3) Which is better to lead our design team from start to finish? Which is better to interface with the builder during construction?

4) The interior design firms can make recommendations for architects based on their working relationships. Is this the way to go and how do we know if the architect can pull off our style and vision? Or perhaps do we just put all our trust in the interior designer?

I am very interested in hearing from posters with experience working with both architects and interior designers.

Comments (21)