SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

My good knife got mad and fell on the floor....

plllog
5 years ago

No one was hurt. Even the edge seems not to have been involved. It's still straight and no nicks.

It all started when I was waiting for the washing machine repairmen. After 17 years my beloved blew its transmission. It's now washing the very rags it stopped on. But I was plowing ahead with my list and had the red wine reduction simmering away its water, and was working my way into the parsnip puree.

While I was mincing the shallots for the reduction, I was thinking that this is what the mini-chopper that came with my immersion blender was for. But I had a knife in my hand. What do I need with a contraption when I have a good knife? I moved on to the garlic for the parsnips, then the parsnips themselves. While my knife is pretty sharp (but not remove flesh from bone sharp), the parsnips were hard and required a little pressure. That made my bad ankle cry. After the first parsnip, it asked why I have such a fancy food processor if I don't use it, and for puree, it doesn't need to be in such perfect coins.

So I got out my slicing blade for the Breville--the adjustable slicing blade--and set it to the same thinness I'd been cutting. I worried about the parsnips sticking. They would have in my old Cuisinart. Like with all else in Peel & Dice machine, FWOAM!!! Instantly done. Perfect thickness. Some pieces fell on their sides, but so what. BTW, while speaking of machines, I mustn't omit the Vita-mix, which not only pureed the cooked parsnips, but aerated them. Totally luscious.

The wine/stock is still reducing. It's tasting rather chickeny, but I have hopes... The pear-applesauce is done. Just some kits to make for tomorrow and some presents to wrap. It's not a Christmas household, but presents are nice, right? I said all I wanted for Christmas was clean underwear, and the machine has moved on to making it so.

The knife forgave me for eschewing it for the shiny new FP, though it was a little grumpy about cutting ripe pears, which could probably be done with a spoon. The immersion blender isn't even talking to me. The Breville FP and the Vita-mix are looking a bit tatty (they could both use a wash), but totally smug. The Le Creuset are neutral on the entire subject, but of course they get to be the stars of the show under the halogens of the hood.

I wish you all and your cutlery, pots and mechanical helpers a delicious, joyous and healthy Christmas.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!