SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2018, Week 4, Happy Holidays

As the month of December winds down and the start of a new calendar (and gardening) year approaches, I hope all of you are well and will be celebrating a joyous holiday season with your family and friends.

I'm grateful for our online gardening family here and all that we share with one another throughout each day, week and month of every year.

So, there's really no gardening chores for us to worry about doing the holiday week, right? Surely we can give ourselves that much of a little, bitty break.

Okay, maybe not. Remember to keep your indoor plants watered and getting the right kind of light depending on their needs. If you have any winter plants actively growing outdoors, remember to water them occasionally if rain isn't falling. Oh, and don't forget to feed the birds!

Part of cleaning my house before the Christmas gathering always involves picking up my seed box, which inevitably is in the living room at this time of the year so I can dig through it to figure out what seeds I have and what seeds I need, and carrying it upstairs so it at least is out of sight. I also have to scoop up the pile of gardening catalogs on the coffee table and at least dump them in the magazine basket where they are out sight and out of the way. Right after the Christmas decor comes down and is put away in the attic for another year, though, the seed box and gardening catalogs resume their rightful place in the living room where they are always mere feet, or sometimes inches, from my fingertips. So, I guess we go straight from Christmas decor to gardening catalog decor here at our house, sprinkled in with seed packets and, before you know it, bags of seed-starting soil and such.

At this time of the year, when I am looking a bit ahead to the spring garden and to planting time, I try to formulate a mental garden plan that involves considering what sort of weather we're likely to have in the new year and how I'll adapt my garden plans accordingly. This year, with El Nino not really developing properly, I have no idea how to plan ahead weatherwise. If the atmosphere had responded to the El Nino Sea Surface Temperatures (which did develop) and an El Nino had been declared, which hasn't happened, I'd be carefully planning for lots of rain, mud and the resulting fungal issues. Instead, I hover on the edge of uncertainty. Granted, we have had nothing much but rain here in our region since September and we have tons of mud, so even though an El Nino has not been declared, it still feels very El Nino-ish here. I just don't know if the rain will continue in such bountiful amounts over the coming months.

I guess I'll plan for a normal gardening year here, which means that we have equal chances of having floods, drought, hailstones from pea-sized to grapefruit sized, thunderstorms, tornadoes, wildfires, torrential rainfall....or no rainfall at all, microbursts, severe clear (i.e. bright sunny skies and no clouds), etc. etc. etc. The one thing I am certain we will have, no matter the weather, is a garden full of plants. It remains to be seen if 2019 will be the sort of year we breeze through the gardening season, which is blessedly long here, with only moderate weather challenges or if every day will be a battle with the elements. Despite all the challenging weather, I feel like all of us here in this region, whether we're in OK, TX, KS, MO or AR....well, we're pretty lucky to live in such a beautiful region and to be able to share the gardening journey with one another.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope all your dreams come true and that you and yours have a happy, healthy and safe holiday together.

Afterwards, brace yourselves, because the seed ordering, garden planning, and longing to start seeds 'now', though 'now' clearly still is too early will hit us all as soon as the holidays are behind us.

Dawn

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!